PEX Questions from a new user...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimongee

Reaction score
Hello folks
I am installing PEX in my new construction home. Since I was previously an all copper guy the PEX is a bit new to me. My supply house recommends I use the crimp system. Thus saving money on the tool as well as connectors. My non plumber friends who dabble in DIY said use only PEX type A and only brass compression connections. The other crowd said use only the crimp style connection with the stainless crimp rings. Of course the compression tool and components are far more expensive than the crimp stuff. I'm not so worried about the cost...just want to install the best system. As always...thanks for your advice

IMO, Viega PexPress Bronze is the best system. Maybe followed by Uponor with the expansion fittings. I use the pex crimp fittings with copper rings and lead free brass fittings when cost is an issue. I don't use the pinch system.

I think that you might be using the terminology in a different way than I am.

Last edited:
Thank you to all who helped me. This forum is sooooo helpful
Take care and work safe
Jim in Franklin, TN

Expansion with uponor piping

This is my personal preference for new construction, but only when I have the cordless pro-pex expander. I did a renovation in a hotel with a 2" main and 1" branches all in Uponor, and all with the manual expander. After that, I made the boss buy the pro pex, my arms were too sore to carry my tool bag!

It wouldn't really be worth the while for a regular joe (or Jim) to bear that expense of the expander, so the crimp rings will be the next best option I think

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back