Pex installation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pbrad

Reaction score
I am going to be running pex in a converted garage (slab) with a full bathroom and small kitchen. At this point the joists are not completely enclosed, resting on the top plate where the rafters are not covered yet. There is a loft area above the lower floor. I was going to utilize the area above the ceiling joists around the edges of the loft floor since there is about four feet of perimeter space where the loft floor does not reach.
I heard that pex should not be run in open areas where mice or rats might get to the tubing…..that it’s better to run in enclosed spaces, like walls (between siding and drywall) This would impact my idea of running above the joists (or through or between them for that matter) and I would need to stay in the walls. Advice? Thanks
PaulaB
B97E4FEF-03A8-4476-978E-F2B73BD52E1B.jpeg

If you’re in a warm climate the attic is an acceptable location. Insulate it and tape the joints.

If you’re in a warm climate the attic is an acceptable location. Insulate it and tape the joints.
Thanks for your reply, but I did find this photo online were rats and chewed through the insulation around the pex and into the pex piping itself.

Attachments

• 674EFE4F-893A-4E11-97E9-F457E32528D5.jpeg
    674EFE4F-893A-4E11-97E9-F457E32528D5.jpeg
    971.6 KB · Views: 21
I see where PEX in general is easy to install, but a planning cost or well experienced installers are a good idea, but actual labor will be lower most likely over copper. I have trouble trusting it - seems like it has a planned life of 25 to 50 years at most, is vulnerable to UV, rodents, depending on brand and type there are other issues. I wonder how confident to be in a whole house installation, or in repair sections made with it?

It’s been industry standard in new construction for the last 30+ years. That’s pretty proven to me. Everything has strengths and weaknesses and will eventually leak. Water is the most destructive force on earth, nothing will contain it indefinitely.

Back