pex directly to electric hot water heater.

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

B16bri

Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question. Is it up to code? And is it safe to install pex directly to an electric hot water heater? I was told for gas water heaters you need at least an 18 inch copper riser, is this needed for electric? View picture below.

Thanks

Attachments

Twowaxhack

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
My areas plumbing code requires 18” of metal at the heater before transition to plastic.

What’s your local plumbing inspector say ?

Manufacturer’s allow it.

SHEPLMBR

She-Plmbr River Rat
Professional
Sponsor
Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question. Is it up to code? And is it safe to install pex directly to an electric hot water heater? I was told for gas water heaters you need at least an 18 inch copper riser, is this needed for electric? View picture below.

Thanks
Where is your valve to the water heater?

Riickk

Reaction score
I just did some reading on PEX, apparently it's known that PEX degrades and finally falls apart when exposed to chlorine in water. If that's true, why are we using PEX where water companies routinely add chlorine to the water they deliver?

Twowaxhack

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
I just did some reading on PEX, apparently it's known that PEX degrades and finally falls apart when exposed to chlorine in water. If that's true, why are we using PEX where water companies routinely add chlorine to the water they deliver?
It has a PPM rating for a given length of time. Nothing lasts forever. It’s cheap and easy to put together.

Jeff Handy

Pro Handyman, NOT A Pro Plumber
Reaction score
The bigger issue here is that this old heater is totally rusting out at the seams.