PEX Crimpers

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
all this talk about wirsboro and pex crimp.... I have never had a leak with crimping. Unless i forgot to crimp.

Could you trace down the Wirsbo leak to any specific thing, IE, not getting the fitting all the way in, bad pipe, etc?

The reason I ask is that I am going to gear up to install and service PEX in the near future, and I am currently leaning toward the Wirsbo expansion system over the crimp system. This is the first mention of leaks with the expansion system that I have been able to find.

Ok well, honestly I didn't feel I did anything wrong. I did exactly what my journeyman said to do. However I do notice with any size of wirsbo rotate that head every single time. And yes I have had the problem on one of my leaks where I didn't push it on fully and then I had to cut it out which is a pain in the butt. But there were a few that in my opinion were unexplainable. At least with crimp you bust the ring and your good to go. wirsbo you have to heat it up carefully and hope for the best. still do able however. But I know I've worked with guys that have been using wirsbo ever since it came out and they would get the odd random leak. It was rare but it did happen. I'm not 100 percent sure if its something they did wrong or not. I know like I already said I've never had a leak with crimp ever and I've had some bad crimps by accident lol. I prefer crimp however wirsbo is still a good product, you just gotta decide on what works for you the best.

I think a lot of those unexplained leaks with wirsbo is due to a bad fitting. The EP fittings and the brass barbs can get dents in the barb from being dropped or other damaging storage methods. This creates a little track for the water to pass by. Other than installation error, this has been the only issue I have discovered.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always used the plastic ones which are pretty unforgiving compared to brass. Could be possible. Usually I've used fittings that came straight from the bag, not banging around the truck or anything. That could be true though. Sometimes like anything you just get a bad fitting.

If your expansion tool is old,used or rented it may be out of calibration and not performing to the manufactures specifications. One small scratch on a fitting can also lead to a leak from the joint under pressure.

I've definitely heard of that, if your tool is old and isn't well taken care of it can cause problems. Never experienced it but I've definitely heard of it, not sure how or why. These are some things worth asking the manufacturer though, maybe they have a better answer than what we have.

One problem is too many tools being made, and they don't always fit the same rings. Can't seem to find the 1" & 3/4" Shark Bite rings at home depot. Don't want to carry a bunch of crimpers around.

Latest posts

Back