Pex and water flow

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Knecht

Reaction score
Is there better water flow connecting 1/2" pex to a R10000 valve that has 1/2" inlets and use pex adaptors, or a Delta R10000 that comes with
crimped pex inlets?
1/2" is connected to a 3/4" trunk lines , 9 feet away. 64 psi with 10 gpm. Would 3/4" run to the valve make any difference? There will be another R10000 for hand held but will not be usi
ng both at same time. Shower heads are both 2.5 gpm.
Thank you

I think the R10000 have a built in thwart in the top outlet to keep shower flow in conformance to EPA maximums.
I don't think 3/4" run is much help unless you plan on simultaneous ops.
Somebody posted in a forum recently how they (on Moentrol brass) run off the tub outlet which doesn't have a restriction. And another trades person says they flip the valve upside down, but don't try that with Delta.

I think the R10000 have a built in thwart in the top outlet to keep shower flow in conformance to EPA maximums.
Somebody posted in a forum recently how they (on Moentrol brass) run off the tub outlet which doesn't have a restriction. And another trades person says they flip the valve upside down, but don't try that with Delta.
That R10000 is for shower and the tub port is capped at the factory. I'm trying to get through the learning curve of plumbing.
Question. Shower heads and faucets have restrictions. Doesn't that limit the flow, whether it's a high flow valve or change from 1/2" to 3/4" pex, as long as, the run supply isn't too long? That seems to be a gray area from what I have read on many forums.

That R10000 is for shower and the tub port is capped at the factory. I'm trying to get through the learning curve of plumbing.
Question. Shower heads and faucets have restrictions. Doesn't that limit the flow, whether it's a high flow valve or change from 1/2" to 3/4" pex, as long as, the run supply isn't too long? That seems to be a gray area from what I have read on many forums.

I think that I mentioned there is a hand held unit too, but I will install a separate R10000 for it. Wanted to use a diverter and a R11000, but the supply from the diverter would be around 16 feet and feared a flow drop.

I can guarantee that the R10000 (always get UNWS ie with stops) has both ports open.
There are "high flow" valves on the market - like for filling large tubs, and they typically take 3/4".
Built in flow restriction on most shower heads are factory inserted but can be defeated. However, note that the design of most modern heads are created with that restrictor in mind.
On the other hand, just removing one component of the flow restriction - typically the tiny o-ring - really boosts the flow and defeats the conservation benefit.
I've not been able to get much better flow from a lot of faucets, but some....yes.

I can guarantee that the R10000 (always get UNWS ie with stops) has both ports open.
There are "high flow" valves on the market - like for filling large tubs, and they typically take 3/4".
Built in flow restriction on most shower heads are factory inserted but can be defeated. However, note that the design of most modern heads are created with that restrictor in mind.
On the other hand, just removing one component of the flow restriction - typically the tiny o-ring - really boosts the flow and defeats the conservation benefit.
I've not been able to get much better flow from a lot of faucets, but some....yes.

I took another look at the specs and the
R10000 PFS PX WS
Is a shower only valve and the bath port is blocked.
It may be a newer model.

Back