PEX-A pipe does not return to it's original size after expanding. Is this normal or the tool is overexpanding?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting... Do we know for a fact it is supposed to return to its original diameter?

Logically, I can see your reasoning but in practice, I (and I'm guessing most here) would cut off that section, and start anew.

Think the argument is moot!?

Interesting... Do we know for a fact it is supposed to return to its original diameter?

Logically, I can see your reasoning but in practice, I (and I'm guessing most here) would cut off that section, and start anew.

Think the argument is moot!?
This is like trying to figure out why a guys peanut butter sandwich doesn’t taste right…..

We’re just throwing out a guess.

I tried again on the same 1/2" pipe. This time I used minimal necessary expansion by not closing expander tool handles all the way. I stopped expanding as soon the barb could get into the pipe. The pipe has closed on the barb within minutes. However, I can turn the barb inside the pipe. It doesn't turn easily, but with some force. Is it normal that a fitting turns inside a pex-a connection?

Sure, with enough force you can always twist PEX fittings - it's one of the advantages to using!

Again, I'm questioning if there is a valid argument here!? If you put the connection into service and it does not leak, what difference does it make if the tubing returns to its original ID??

I am also wondering if you have tried your 'test' using the expansion fitting on the tubing. It would certainly play a part in the tube shrinking back down onto the fitting as opposed to just the tubing itself.

Sure, with enough force you can always twist PEX fittings - it's one of the advantages to using!

Again, I'm questioning if there is a valid argument here!? If you put the connection into service and it does not leak, what difference does it make if the tubing returns to its original ID??

The purpose of my test was to see the pipe grip on the fitting, but the pipe stayed over the fitting diameter until I used a heat gun on it. That was my first ever experience with PEX and I wanted to test how the tool works before I use it on the real thing.
I'm glad that I did this test because it didn't go well and taught me the lesson. I blame overexpansion and the lesson was not to over expand.
In my second test I did not expand to the max right away. Instead, I did few expansions, each expansion bigger and bigger, until the fitting would go inside the pipe. In other words, I used the minimum expansion that would allow inserting the fitting into the pipe. This time the pipe has closed on the fitting within minutes.
To those who have commented on the lack of expansion ring in pictures: I did use expansion ring but removed it once the pipe shrunk a little. I have described this in my fist post. I never expanded a pipe without having an expansion ring on it.

I am glad I've never messed with the expansion stuff. It sounds like a pain. But I wish you luck on your installation. Hopefully everything will seal up tightly.

i was very surprised when i saw tools and piping for pex A at a big box store . I took the course for both water piping and infloor heating by the manufacture several years ago. the company said that only real plumbers could take the course, and only those that took the course could buy tools,fittings and pipe for PEX A. It was supposed to be their way to control quality. The company wisbro also said that any job done by a plumber (that took the course) would be guaranteed for 25 years.
Now i see that any tom dick or harry can just go to a big box store and buy anything they want. Now this is going to destroy what was once a very good product that i fully endorsed now going to be crap.

Here’s some 3/4” pexA I used as a crimp ring on a garden hose make end replacement. I expanded it and slipped it onto the hose.

Easy on the hands and has been working for at least a year now.
D276ECD3-2FF7-4CD7-92A9-84ADEA9BA09D.jpeg

I cut the end off of a washing machine hose and then expanded some pexa and slipped it over the cut hose.

It held 85psi for a day before the the hose delaminated and ruptured from water penetrating the cut end of the hose.

It never blew apart at the hose/pipe connection where I expanded the pex and slipped it over the hose.

DC693604-611A-4F8C-A120-AC36A50B4276.jpeg3C854841-F7C9-473C-A2A3-F58D86382A0C.jpeg

I too took the Uponor certificated training. It is not possible to "overexpand" that product due to memory effect.
While possible to not expand sufficiently due to too-few expansions- this Apollo tube experiment by o.p. leads nowhere.

Over expanding may not be the proper way to explain it.

I blame it on too many expansion cycles with the tool and it’ll take longer for the joint to shrink to a leak feee joint.

Back