Peculiar claw foot tub drain connection to 1 7/8 inch galvanized pipe, how to replace?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speet2222

Reaction score
This old bathroom originally had a shower stall and was later converted to a claw foot tub. It's time to re-tile the bathroom floor so the tub will be pulled out and I intend to re-install it with new drain hardware. The waste tee to galvanized drain pipe connection, though, is baffling.

20200920_145853.jpg

1 and 3/8 inch O.D. brass drain elbow and overflow pipes join to a 1 and 1/2 inch O.D. brass waste tee, which in turn was fitted to a 1 and 7/8 inch O.D. coarse-threaded galvanized steel/iron drain pipe plumbed through the bathroom floor. Gobs of putty cover the latter joint. I hope to find a means of making a much neater replacement joint upon re-installation with fresh hardware.

The galvanized pipe is accessible from the basement below. Flanking tub water supply pipes appear to be threaded 3/4 inch bronze. The huge pale glob on top is polyurethane foam which is easily removed.

20200920_160453.jpg

I'm reluctant to disturb the old galvanized plumbing for fear of creating new leaks. Has anyone solved this kind of puzzle of joining new and old plumbing before? Any recommended adapter unions/fittings?

you have to remove all thats pictured......and replace with pvc, it will be a lot easier starting with new go back as far as you can and cut out the galvi,its not gonna get any newer.....

Latest posts

Back