Pe tubing question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KULTULZ

Jack of All Trades ~ Master of None
Professional
Reaction score
Excerpted From Another Post Thread-

If you didn't warm the Poly Pipe before putting it on the barb fitting, you should. It seals much better when it's soft. I would also use a metal barb fitting, not the plastic ones. Use two clamps on each one.

I have 1" PE tubing from my well to the pressure tank. I am installing a filter system and have to remove the brass barbed fitting from the PE and cut the tubing shorter and reinstall (to move the tank).

Do you heat the tubing with a propane torch before inserting the brass barbed fitting? How much and how long? The present setup has the PE tubing secured to the fitting with two worm clamps and they are cutting into the tubing material. Is there a better clamping system such as a cinch clamp as used on PEX? I am thinking of using two constant torque clamps.

THANX! :D

Pressure Tank_3.jpg

Pressure Tank_4.jpg

Hot water or a heat gun work better. You have to be good with the torch, or it will be obvious when you have heated it too much. I use a torch. But sometimes I mess up and have to cut it off and start over.

Hair dryer worked like a charm...

Stained my britches twice and the left one is hanging a little lower but I got the fitting in with no drips, runs or errors... :D

Is there a clamp similar to a PEX clamp that is designed for PE tubing? I don't have much faith in worm clamps.

Not that I am aware of. All I have ever seen is the gear clamps. But if you use 2 you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Not that I am aware of. All I have ever seen is the gear clamps. But if you use 2 you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Thanx for the reply. I was thinking (dangerous) along the lines of a cinch clamp as used on some PEX systems. Any thoughts? Would they be more reliable, although I must admit I re-used the original SS worm clamps and no leaks.

I think those would be awesome but with barbed fittings I'm not sure if it would work. Never tried so hard to say. But all I ever learnt to use was 2 hose clamps. You could google it and see. There's a possibility there is another method to join pe pipe and barbed fittings.

All the water lines in my boat are required to have two clamps on all fittings, and with the added insurance, they have never failed me so I suppose the same applies to plumbing.

I think this is the style band clamp that needs to be used-

282-531060130.jpg

NON-PERFORATED BAND CLAMPS NON PERFORATED band protects silicone and other soft hose surfaces from extruding or shearing during installation.

Specially designed for original equipment and replacement markets the non-perforated band protects silicone and other soft hose surfaces from extruding or shearing during installation

If you notice, regular band clamps eat into the hose material resulting in unequal torque application and possible future hose failure. I used to work on heavy truck and this type and CONSTANT TORQUE band clamps were used.

Also you are correct in staggering two clamps to evenly distribute the torque between them.

Just my thoughts.

Latest posts

Back