Paulus pitiless adapter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dannorthrup

Reaction score
I'm trying to pull a well with a Paulus pitless adapter/well cap assembly. Apparently there's a super double top secret tool necessary to release the cam. Anyone know where one is available or how to fabricate one. I've contacted the manufacturer and they of coarse refer me to "my local well contractor" who wants $2400 to pull a 24' drop pipe and replace a $300 pump.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Wow! Take the well cap off and take a picture down the well at the pitless. If it is the kind I am thinking about you can weld a washer to the end of a steel rod and make the key you need.

2864d1345841605-well-pump-replacement-question-100_5993.jpg

if it is like a regular pitless adapter, take a 1" by 5' black steel nipple. put a 1" tee on one end and put a 6" nipple on either side to grip, thread other end into top of pittless adapter and pull.

Last edited:
The cap and the adapter are one unit. There's a 1" pipe with a screw on cap that goes to a release mechanism 5' down. I can't quite make ot the "nut" or whatever at the bottom. I'm trying to get a picture of the darn thing so maybe I can enlarge it.

IMG_0834.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. All the pumps I have done, I have never encountered such a beast. Please share more when you figure out how it's done!

Yeah, it's aggravating. I even pulled up the patent drawings on line, shows everything in great detail.....except that nut. Bastards got you by the short and curly's.

Wow. All the pumps I have done, I have never encountered such a beast. Please share more when you figure out how it's done!

I have never seen anything like that out my way.

Just before giving up and calling the well guy I took a piece of 1/2 pipe and cut a 1/4 inch slot a half inch deep in hopes it was like the brass pitless adapters I've seen. It worked and I was finally able to get the darn thing pulled. Turns out the bottom of the plastic pitless adapter was cracked not allowing the system to hold pressure. Replaced it with a good old fashioned brass pitless.
If you ever have to pull a Paulus, once you get it clear of the casing the locking cam can just fall out. You wouldn't want to lose it down the well.
Thanks guys for the advice.

Last edited:
I need to pull the same pump. How much do you turn the releasing mechanism, to get it loose, 1/2 turn, couple turns ect. Once you release the adapter do you have to worry about the pump falling into the well?

Once the pump was pulled did you have to dig around the casing and get down to the old pitiless to change it out? Mine is about 4' down.

Thanks for any help.

I need to pull the same pump. How much do you turn the releasing mechanism, to get it loose, 1/2 turn, couple turns ect. Once you release the adapter do you have to worry about the pump falling into the well?

Once the pump was pulled did you have to dig around the casing and get down to the old pitiless to change it out? Mine is about 4' down.

Thanks for any help.
Any luck with this? I've got the same paulus setup. Don't wanna mess withit until I know how to pull it up.

Latest posts

Back