Paid a so called handyman to install a bathroom sink...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KAnthony203

Reaction score
A few weeks later this happened and water was all over my floor before I could turn off the faucet.

Any advise on how I need to repair this? Do I need to add something to this?

Your pics are now showing up. Your plumbing is completely out of alignment. Get rid of that chrome downspout, and used the plastic PVC fittings that go with the that set up. There is no place for that chrome nut to secure onto the plastic.

The problem is the chrome pipe is to that sink. it came that way. The PVC is what the house has. Not sure if i can remove the down spout. will have to look again. The chrome nut is actually secured on the pvc but the chrome down spout does not seem to have threads to attach the nut to.

The chrome pipe is the tailpiece from the sink (or it may be an extension of it). There should be a nylon or rubber gasket underneath that chrome nut that makes the seal.
If this is a new sink, it appears that the old faucet and drain were re-used? That chrome pipe looks rather rusty and may not make a tight seal.
It appears from what little I can see from the photos that the new sink is a bit shallower than the original and now the tailpiece doesn't quite meet the PVC P-trap. You need an extension for the tailpiece. That will require cutting the tailpiece back and adding a 6" PVC or chrome extension, which will also have to be cut to correct length.

Yup..you will need to purchase a 1 1/4" extension tube 6" long. Probably will need to cut it down a bit so the P-trap is better aligned. Swing your Ptrap out of the way a little. Install the new PVC extension tube. Swing the ptrap back so you can make a mark on the extension tube where you need to make a cut so it fits nice in the hub of the P-trap. Please remember that you dont need to wrench to hard on those slip nuts. It's fairly easy to break the threads.

If you can remove that old rusting chrome piece, you should replace it with something new. This would save you from having to cut it.

Basically a combination of @havasu comment in post #4 and @fixitron comments.

Looks like you may have to move that trap assembly a bit, to get a better alignment on the new tail piece.

Its probably an 1 1/4" threaded tailpiece threaded in that pop-up assembly. He might have to stay
with that set-up just new parts.

Yes!
6" & 12" threaded chrome tail pieces are available, if he/she wants to try unscrewing the rusty one, rather than trying to cut it in place.

Last edited:
Looks like your straight waste line needs to be pushed farther into your drain stubout in your wall. That should get your tailpiece lined up vertically with your P trap.

You just need a 1 -1/4" tubular drain extension like this.
$7 at Lowes or HD or any hardware store

images.jpg

That a new sink???
Chrome tail piece looks old. Why does it look old. New sink should of had a new drain

The aforementioned extension would be ideal but you could probably make it work with one of the white pvc nuts and a 1 1/4" washer tightened down really good. The washer is probably inside that nut, it's just the way wrong nut for the job.

The aforementioned extension would be ideal but you could probably make it work with one of the white pvc nuts and a 1 1/4" washer tightened down really good. The washer is probably inside that nut, it's just the way wrong nut for the job.
Yes and maybe something placed under the trap to keep them from pulling apart like what happened in this picture.
2.jpg

Yes and maybe something placed under the trap to keep them from pulling apart like what happened in this picture.
View attachment 18225

With the right nut (plastic- grips, squeezes better) and washer it should tighten down firm enough on that tail piece to hold the trap up- but if you invest any time or energy or money into it I'd go with what others suggested and get the extension tube. Fairly cheap, easy to install, will ultimately function and look better than something wedged under your drain. Just my suggestion. Putting something underneath the trap to help hold it up would still work if that's how you want to do it though.

Oh.... now that this was pointed out, maybe the only reason the drain is cockeyed is because in the second picture it was just shoved up to try to make it fit, making it look off angle.

Latest posts

Back