P-Trap in new vanity

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clinds30

Reaction score
Is it ok to raise a ptrap above the drain pipe so the ptrap fits inside a vanity? Otherwise, the ptrap hangs below the bottom of the vanity and I would have to cut the vanity to allow room for the p trap.

It wouldn't run uphill anymore than the usual ptrap configuration. Basically, instead of water going through the ptrap and straight into the wall, it would go through the ptrap, drop down through two 90 degree angles, and into the wall.

It sounds like you have a wall hung vanity where the valves and trap are supposed to be concealed in the cabinet. Realistically it shouldn't be done. I have had requests over the years to do as you ask but the vent would be after an offset in the pipe and would present the chance of losing your trap seal. Otherwise what needs to be done to bring the trap up into the cabinet is to open the wall and raise the drain tee. It may also be possible to lower the vanity to meet the elevation of the drain tee, but may look odd at such a low level or even make it's use uncomfortable depending on how ow it needs to be set.
Of course this all depends on if you have the situation that I assume. I hope that you don't have a standard vanity with the trap sitting below the toe-kick.
Let us know.

Thanks cad, you're pretty much right on. It's not a wall hang but has 4 legs and an enclosed cabinet to house the undermount sink and pipes. The drain pipe makes a left turn inside the wall and goes horizontal to the toilet, so i'm not sure how complicated that project would be. It sounds like the best option is to cut a notch in the bottom of the vanity cabinet and keep the ptrap as is.

Latest posts

Back