P trap help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve-o

Reaction score
Have a question regarding function of this in-line P trap. Does this look like a proper plumbing job? The vent stack is to the right of it. And the washing machine and vanity are draining from the left, the vanity does have a p trap but I am unsure if the washing machine does without tearing out drywall. I get a strong odor of sewer gas from the washing machine drain only and was unsure if this p trap was adequate to prevent sewer gas backdraft. I noticed the bathroom van was vented out the roof stack and was getting sewer gas from that as well, I recently changed that to it own location out the roof which leads me to believe there may be other mistakes with this plumbing job. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 19998E20-B8F1-4F0D-865C-5F228E00DDAA.jpeg
    19998E20-B8F1-4F0D-865C-5F228E00DDAA.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 28
A trap should be under the fixture it's serving, not that far away.

And are you saying both the vanity and washing machine are upstream of that trap? You'd have at least one double trap if that was the case, which isn't code. That can cause siphoning, and could be the reason for the sewer smells.

Back