P Trap for Shower Help!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjMAY77

Reaction score
I am in the middle of a shower remodel. In the past this shower drain has smelled at times. I have ben researching a bit on p-traps and s-traps however I need some input from people with more experience than myself. I included a pic. Is this correct? It seems like a S trap going out a horizontal pipe. To the right of the photo the pipe extends maybe 12 ft to a sink. The thick pipe at the bottom is the main. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I am at a loss. Thanks!

Attachments

• P Trap.PNG
    P Trap.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
Thank you for the response. What would that look like? Essentially does that mean running a vent out to the roofline? This is a first floor bath so that may be difficult. Would it mean replacing that S with a single dip similar to the pic below?

Attachments

• PTrap2.PNG
    PTrap2.PNG
    205.9 KB · Views: 6
Even your diagram isn't strickly correct, but it's sometimes allowed due to constraints.

in the diagram there should be 18 inches between the p trap and the vent, also this is what we call flat venting , a good plumber can do much better that this .

We don’t need 18” from the trap to the vent. That’s pointless.

Back