P Trap and Tail Piece not lining up

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadPlumber

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I’m new to the forum and was hoping someone could help me with my plumbing problem.
I posted 2 pictures below

I’m currently installing a vanity/sink in our bathroom. The P Trap and Tail piece are not lining up. I’m about 1/2” off front to back and 1/4” off side to side.
Im having a hard time loosening the waste arm so I stopped messing with it.

Would getting a small elbow be the easiest way to fix this or loosening the waste arm?
although I’d still have to issue with the P Trap being slightly off to the left

I do have an extension but as you can see from the photo looking down the drain I’m not lining up 100%.

Thank you

Attachments

• CCAB2D7E-A03A-4B74-BD7F-4C93BA2BFF40.jpeg
    CCAB2D7E-A03A-4B74-BD7F-4C93BA2BFF40.jpeg
    448.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 486A1F50-71EB-4356-8821-CC81993A9035.jpeg
    486A1F50-71EB-4356-8821-CC81993A9035.jpeg
    486.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
You should have enough to where you can loosen the nut at the wall and come out a bit. As far as the left and right, your trap should be able to wing that much. Then as Arctic says, get a tail piece extension.

You have to loosen the circled brass nut at the back wall, to get the trap arm to be able to slide in or out.
And loosen the plastic slip nut on the trap, so it can swing left or right.

thanks for the help.
I loosened the brass nut and was able to get it off. My problem is I was not able to slide the trap arm in or out. It seems to be in there pretty good. I’m afraid to put some pressure on it without knowing exactly what I’m doing.
Any advice?
I am pretty confident I can finish my project if I get this part figured out.

I appreciate your help.

Just do it.
It needs to move.
Do it by hand, not with any tools.

After you loosen the brass nut, you could slide it out of the way.
Then try wrapping a wet rag around that area overnight, to try to soften the gook that is holding it tight.

I would also suggest trying gentle heat from a hair dryer, but if you are not careful you can melt the pvc, and then you are in bad shape.

Latest posts

Back