Overwhelmed by Flange Repair Options

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouCards502

Reaction score
Hello!

So i've just laid down some vinyl plank flooring in a bathroom (over an original linoleum) and now it sits maybe an 1/8th (if that) of an inch over the flange. I also realized the left section of the flange is split a little bit.

I am completely overwhelmed at the options on the market of repair and extender products. Since the difference is so small I don't even know if I need an extender type product once you factor in the thickness of any repair ring etc.

I'm on the 3rd floor of a condo so I'm really trying to get this leakproof on the 1st go around.

Any products or procedures anyone would advise? Sorry if this is overly basic, but my plumbing experience is switching out a few faucets.

Thank you!!!

When you set the toilet you will know if the wax is being compressed, if not add extender. I would put a spanner flange on that to repair it, it will cause the toilet to rock which could compromise the seal.

Take your bolts out and put one of these on top of the flange. I usually silicone them on and fasten with screws. Use
two if you have too. These will bring it up level with the floor.flange ext.jpg

Would those extenders be able to hold the bolt where the original flange was damaged?

CT, I was thinking about using the full ring so that I didn't have to worry about one side of the toilet being higher than the other like this:

15158-bc4a4125c1ba29c3ac648093ea6f60d6.jpg

Thank you both for the reply by the way!

Attachments

• sioux-chief-repair-clamps-886-mr-64_1000.jpg
    sioux-chief-repair-clamps-886-mr-64_1000.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 3
silicon does NOT stick well to something that has had wax on it.
Just double up on the wax.
That vinyl didn't raise the floor that much. They make an extra thick wax.
If I double up I use a wax with a plastic cone on bottom and then another plain wax on top.

I missed the part where you said it was split.
I replace broken flanges, but in a pinch I would use the stainless ring.
You better have it secured tight to old flange with brass screws.
And sealed between old and new

Back