Outer faucet housing removal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michaelx

Reaction score
Hello,

I am having a heck of a time trying to turn the outer housing of your bathroom faucet. I need to replace the cartridge inside but I can not remove the outer housing. I have tried a strap wrench, a jar gripper with a wrench. Turning counter clockwise. I can not get this thing to move.

Anyone have any idea how to loosen this up. This is a Kohler faucet. Pictures are attached.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20190804_163548.jpg
    IMG_20190804_163548.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20190804_163553.jpg
    IMG_20190804_163553.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20190804_163540.jpg
    IMG_20190804_163540.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 28
There might be a tiny allen screw in the right-angle part of the lever handle.

If that part comes up and off, you can see inside the lower part to see how it might come off.
Kohler often has a threaded escutcheon ring right at the bottom, but yours looks like it is one big piece.
The whole big part might need to be unscrewed.

Some Kohler handles are just held onto the cartridge stem with a plastic adapter, they snap on and off but are very firmly snapped on.

Look for your faucet on the Kohler website, they have exploded diagrams of pretty much everything on there.

Check the easy stuff first. Hold the handle while it is off and try to unscrew the base of the handle. I believe the trim (the part you look at) is actually two pieces put together that move independently of each other.

This is the Devonshire faucet. I believe the trim screws off. The Kohler rep said to hold the handle and unscrew the base (the part you look at). Problem is, I can not get it to budge at all. I have tried everything I can think of but can't get anything to grip it enough. Everything just slides. Not sure how a plumber would be able to get this thing off.

If you are totally stumped, go to the link I sent earlier.
You can take either hot or cold valve off totally, by unscrewing a clip under the sink deck.
You also have to take off the supply line, and a line going to the spout.
Then you will be able to see what is holding it from unscrewing.
Pbly just rocked on with minerals from months of leaking.
You can get vinegar in there once it is out of the sink.
Or penetrating oil.
And you will get a lot better grip on it, right now the widest part is sitting on the sink deck, you can’t get around it with a good grip.
Unless you use a wrench, will will chew it up at least a little, even with protection like from wrapping with tape first.

Have you tried a rubber strap wrench?? Like suggested squirt some penetrating oil under the handle part and let it
set for awhile and then try a strap wrench.

Latest posts

Back