Outdoor tankless natural gas water heater location

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

Doing some preliminary investigation on replacing my tank water heater with a tankless. Considering the pros and the cons, I am leaning towards an outdoor tankless heater and was wondering if any of these spots were better or worse in regards to their location and proximity to windows, doors, etc. The three options (in order of my preference) are at the bottom of an outside stairwell that leads into the basement. There is a door there that we never use, although that may change in the future. The second option would be behind the AC compressor between two windows. And the third would be around the corner from there against the wall on the side of the house. The plumbing would be fairly straight forward for all three, however, the third would involve a bit more since there is a room between that wall and the gas and water lines. Would love to get your opinion on which is the most viable (if at all) or if it would be a better option to look at an internal unit. Attaching pics, some of which have a red square (not exactly to scale) of where I was thinking of putting the tank.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3967-tank.jpg
    IMG_3967-tank.jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3965.jpg
    IMG_3965.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3966.jpg
    IMG_3966.jpg
    649.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3968-tank.jpg
    IMG_3968-tank.jpg
    595 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3964-tank.jpg
    IMG_3964-tank.jpg
    620.7 KB · Views: 2
I don't know that I would recommend an outside tankless in your climate. Gets mighty cold in the winter. May I ask why an outside?
Our winters here can get cold, but mostly I would say they are moderate. We are right on the line where if the weather up north drops a little, it can get bitterly cold, but it usually doesn't last very long. Last winter was downright pleasant! I would say we probably have about two weeks or so where the temps can drop below freezing (during the day). But it probably averages in the high 30's low 40's, with it colder at night.

I was hoping to free up the space inside and also not have to worry about venting or leaking. I was planning on weatherizing it with an appropriate enclosure to help with the colder days. But with all that said, I am not opposed to an indoor unit and would not put one outside if it's not appropriate.

Thanks again for the advice.

Each TWH has mandatory prohibited placement areas, and must not be within certain amount of feet away from windows and openings. You would need to decide on the TWH, and read the fine print on what they say is acceptable. I placed mine under a roof overhand to keep it away from direct water, but no windows for direct intake and venting.

Each TWH has mandatory prohibited placement areas, and must not be within certain amount of feet away from windows and openings. You would need to decide on the TWH, and read the fine print on what they say is acceptable. I placed mine under a roof overhand to keep it away from direct water, but no windows for direct intake and venting.
That's my main concern. And as I would rather compromise the location rather than the TWH, I think an indoor unit may be the way to go. Thanks.

Here in the Piedmont of North Carolina where the winters and temperatures are far more moderate then Washington DC, there are a number of tankless water heaters installed outside. However it does go below freezing on occasion and it doesn’t take long for water to freeze when it’s 25° outside even for a short period of time.

Most of the tankless water heaters have an outdoor feature to keep things from freezing but this feature requires electricity and that’s the catch: if you happen to lose power when the temperature is cold you are going to have frozen pipes. some of the new home builders learned that the hard way and will no longer install a tankless outside.

Our winters here can get cold, but mostly I would say they are moderate. We are right on the line where if the weather up north drops a little, it can get bitterly cold, but it usually doesn't last very long. Last winter was downright pleasant! I would say we probably have about two weeks or so where the temps can drop below freezing (during the day). But it probably averages in the high 30's low 40's, with it colder at night.

I was hoping to free up the space inside and also not have to worry about venting or leaking. I was planning on weatherizing it with an appropriate enclosure to help with the colder days. But with all that said, I am not opposed to an indoor unit and would not put one outside if it's not appropriate.

Thanks again for the advice.
I lived in NOVA for 50 years. Last year was a fluke.

So either I go with an indoor TWH or move to a warmer climate... need to think about that one. Thanks again!

Or, forget the &^%$ tankless and replace your conventional tank style water heater with another. You'll save yourself a LOT of money up front, maybe some headaches down the road, and it's really, really easy to do...

I mean seriously: you haven't even found a proper location (in or out) for it, and thus you haven't started the process of upsizing your gas line, maybe reconfigure some plumbing, and all the other issues that will arise.

Tank heaters have gotten more efficient lately.
And as stated, so much cheaper up front.

Maybe consider a hybrid?
I think some cities or utilities give a rebate, maybe other sources of discount, it’s worth asking around.

Back