Outdoor spigot attachment? What is it?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twinsig

Reaction score
What is this for? Besides leaking like crazy & making people angry.
It's on there too! Prob have to cut it off or risk breaking the copper pipe!
20200327_153446.jpg

Yes, it's a vacuum breaker, but if it's leaking the valve behind it is bad, buy a new one with a vacuum breaker as part of the valve.

Or if you're not up to replacing the valve you can likely just remove the handle and stem and replace the washer, to stop the leak.

He didn't know what it was. Sounded like he may of thought it was causing the leak.

I believe it would be much easier to remove the stem then to remove the vacuum breaker. Particularly if he doesn't have a dremel tool.

If he removes the vacuum breaker he still has the leak.o_O

Thanks everyone. Living out in the country all this time I've NEVER had one of these things. My SO bought near the city and they are probably as old as this house.
I drilled one set screw out and still split w a hacksaw & pry the gap w flathead, the other screw was positioned directly toward the wall..$&!!*^%!! Hacksawed that one each side.. needless to say, they ain't coming back. Not dealing with that BS.
Appreciate the info!

Yeah I had one of those BS things as well. Actually 2 one on each hose bib. I go tired of being squirted in the face every time I turned the water off so I hacked it off as well. Not sure what moron invented it. No regrets!

Exactly plumbgate. not only do they squirt you in the face. if you leave the hose hooked up
during a freeze your frost proof hb will bust

I used to get my rear end chewed out on the regular for NOT putting them on when I trimmed a house
I would tell the boss. UN HUH. then walk off and ignore him

I come from industrial electrical profession and during some equipment training (long ago) the instructor said: If you invent a "device"and get a patent on it that's good. But, if you can have THAT device required by code then you've got something!
Afterward, the buerocrats will take over and hammer the installers & home owners!
My SO is nurse, and they consantly deal with JCO (The Joint Commission) health care Inspectors. Those written reports about scotch tape on the walls and diet Pepsi cans at the nurse station have suddenly disappeared! So have the inspectors! They are probably social distancing far away from the virus threat. Meanwhile, the world is at war with medical professionals fighting it.. no inspectors anywhere!
Sorry for the rant.

This is totally off topic and not PC.

But can someone explain why so many nurses I see are either way overweight or actually obese?
Shouldn’t they be aware of the danger, and also setting an example?

Just wondering, please ignore if outraged.

There's a local heart doc that weighs over 300. Seems counter intuitive.. Also seems like many "nurses" are from the same crowd, meaning 60+ % in the USA are over weight. However, many med-tech types are out there staying active, many ride bicycles so please give those riders a break and some space.. those guys don't want to end up on a gerny they see daily..
Boy this thread is derailed huh!

The problem as I see it, is the fact that they felt it necessary to include that screw to lock it in place. Without it, one can simply replace a faulty unit.

The tamper-proof locking screws are needed, because otherwise most folks would immediately unscrew those pesky things.

My biggest complaint against them is that they leak and spurt, unless you turn on the sillcock to fairly high pressure.

Do they they leak and spurt when they are relatively new? I've only had the the frost proof with built in VB. Never a problem. Unless of course you forget to disconnect hose. However, not much different than forgetting to shutting the water to it and leaving it open to drain.
frostproof with VB.jpg
Actually what I do is leave the hose connected and use one of these to simply keep it open to drain.
2-way hose bib.jpg

Back