Outdoor shower and septic odor

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larryb123

Reaction score
Since this issue straddles a few areas I thought I’d start here.

I have an outdoor shower that my contractor connected to the new septic system he installed. That’s the code here.

The problem is that I now have septic odors coming from the shower drain. Can I install a backwater valve to prevent the odor from coming up but allow the shower to drain? Is there another solution?

Thanks

Thanks matt30, however since it’s an outdoor shower the trap would need to be below the frost line (36”) to avoid freezing and cracking the pipe. That’s why I was considering the backwater valve.

Backwater valves are not air tight. They are intended for sewers, and sewers still need to vent

Every outdoor shower I've ever put in has a p-trap on the drain, and a way to shut off and drain the water lines so they don't freeze. It's up to you as the owner to drain the water supply and put anti-freeze in the p-trap when cold weather arrives

Must have a P-trap and must have a vent nothing can replace those or be put in place of those

how often is the shower used? if not often, like 2 x a week, your trap could be evaporating.
or as matt suggests, if it has no vent, the water in the trap my be back syphoning when the shower is drained
code calls for a vent. I have, taken a 4'' round timber, split it, hollowed it out, and encased the vent
then drilled holes in the timber, drove in wood dowels to hang your towel on
all just to hide the vent

Check by adding about a cup or two of water in the drain and see if it still gives off an odor.

Latest posts

Back