Outdoor faucet repair

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tmurf

Reaction score
Hi folks, new guy hoping you can help.

Attempting to repair my leaking outdoor faucets. Now that the first one popped off in my hand while trying remove stem valve, it has become replacement. Exterior is brick, inside is finished garage wall and copper pipe. 20 years old. The faucet has about a 1/2 inch reach where the pipe was pushed to a stop that left the faucet flush to the wall. I don't see any solder and the faucet wasn't attached to the wall so how was it attached to be so secure and not leak? What are my options?

Thanks, Tom

Ok, I think I get the picture. Original faucet used heat. My only out is to open sheetrock and push a new pipe and faucet in. I can do that.

Thanks, Tom
Peace

Having a hard time picturing what you’re describing. Sounds like you’re talking about a frost free bib that’s soldered on. Replacement would def require opening the wall to access the pipe. Have any pics?

Thanks for responding. The faucet came lose while wrenching on it. What I have left is a pipe flush to the brick. No sign of solder. I my ignorance I was looking for an easy reattachment like some magic glue. Yes I've accepted the fact I'll do it as he did b4 sheetrock. Push a faucet and pipe from outside. No problem.

Thanks again, Tom

Thanks for responding. The faucet came lose while wrenching on it. What I have left is a pipe flush to the brick. No sign of solder. I my ignorance I was looking for an easy reattachment like some magic glue. Yes I've accepted the fact I'll do it as he did b4 sheetrock. Push a faucet and pipe from outside. No problem.

Thanks again, Tom
again, pictures would be helpful.

Hey guys, I appreciate your interest. Looks like more work than I imagined. Of course this is probably a common situation for a plumber, but I'm retired phone man, so. Anyway looks like the plumber strapped an elbow to a 2x4, mounted 2x4 and plumbed to it. I think I just need to open sheetrock enough cut the down pipe and wide enough to get to the other stud to remove 2x4 and out pipe. Connect my new faucet and place a board between the studs and inside the down pipe and strap it.
Good enough?
Thanks, Tom

IMG_7360.JPGIMG_7362.JPGIMG_7363.JPG

Thought I'd close this out in case another newbie finds it.

Attachments

• IMG_7365.JPG
    IMG_7365.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7370.JPG
    IMG_7370.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
Back