Outdoor faucet needs replacing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edhalsim

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to plumbing. I have an outdoor faucet originally installed with the house almost 30 yrs. ago. It won't shut off. Right now I have one of those valves attached to it so it doesn't leak. It has a round plastic knob on the top so it may be one of those kind that's resistant to freezing (?) I live in Texas so freezing is normally the least of our problems, except for the past two weeks.

I'm guessing this isn't a problem I should try to fix myself. There's no interior shutoff value and it's a slab, brick house. I'm afraid if I try to twist it, something will break inside the wall and then I'm screwed. Any idea how much I'd spend to call in a plumber? How would they go about fixing it without destroying anything?

Thanks.
Ed

Sometimes when a frost proof sillcock freezes, it bursts way inside the wall where you can’t see the water leaking.
Be on the lookout for water leaking from the wall or under the house.

In case you're not familiar the sillcock has a compression valve at the end inside the house with a long shaft that operates it. Without adequate insulation it may have frozen. You need to find how it is plumbed to replace.

Attachments

• Frostless.jpg
    Frostless.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 1
Post a pic. Don’t try to unscrew it from the wall.

See below. I saw a video online that said you could possibly unscrew the handle, remove it, and replace a couple of washers inside the unit and fix it for $2. Don't know if that's a "pipe dream"; HAHAH I kill myself. But seriously, thanks for the help.

0187aaa926ac25f1150f5cdbb82090c6e3cb171bd2.jpg01b75e59e059996960b595fadfc1bc5443abf79b54.jpg

You know when you screwed that add on valve onto that frost proof faucet you eliminated it’s frost proof characteristics.

Yes, theres a washer in there.....You can even replace the inside parts bought as a kit that includes everything.

Those faucets are offered in different lengths to accommodate how far back in the wall the connection has to be to prevent freezing.

Google up Woodford frostproof hose faucet snd you should get parts pulling up. By looking at the parts you’ll see how it comes apart. It’s just one nut......

Woodford model 19 .... guaranteed not to burst ........... until a shut-off is attached to trap water inside.

Woodford Model 19 Freezeless Faucet

I just read that they don’t burst even if the hose is left on it......pressure relief assembly....

They didn’t always say that 🤣.

Learnt me sum thang....

But that model in the op’s pic clearly says you best remove da hose

“You know when you screwed that add on valve onto that frost proof faucet you eliminated it’s frost proof characteristics.”

This happens so often!

I yell at clients about this all the time.

The plastic escutcheon at the bricks even warns about it!!!

You know when you screwed that add on valve onto that frost proof faucet you eliminated it’s frost proof characteristics.

Yes, theres a washer in there.....You can even replace the inside parts bought as a kit that includes everything.

Those faucets are offered in different lengths to accommodate how far back in the wall the connection has to be to prevent freezing.

Google up Woodford frostproof hose faucet snd you should get parts pulling up. By looking at the parts you’ll see how it comes apart. It’s just one nut......

It looks like a Model 17 to me (round handle not oval). I would think I would need this: RK-ADJ-PRV Upgrade the Model 14, 16, 17, 19, 22 and V22 to PRV 4-in to 14-in model lengths Should I get the full repair kit also, or do you think I just need the rod assembly?

Pull the guts out and inspect their condition.

Post a good pic of everything, laid out sideways.

If in doubt, always get more parts and options than you think you will need.

Going shopping again with the main house water off sucks.

See:
I removed the screw and the handle, then the locking nut. There was no packing material. I then tried using the knob per instructions to turn the rod all the way left to loosen it, but it won't budge beyond how far the valve normally opens. I can't just pull the rod out and there is a washer holding it on I don't see any way to remove it. I'm afraid of using too much force trying to turn it further left and risk breaking something. Any ideas please let me know. Thanks.

There should be packing material and it’s pressed in there and it’s probably really hard now.

you’ll probably break the handle if you force it.

you might need to remove the handle and use channel locks or maybe a 4way key to turn counterclockwise until it breaks freee.

Could the stem break off in there ? Sure can. That’s when I cut the wall open.,

it’s all about progressing to the next step. There’s always a solution. Start simple and if need be , rip it all out.

I just read that they don’t burst even if the hose is left on it......pressure relief assembly....

I've replaced three or four at my former home in Michigan, when a sudden cold snap came in autumn when the hose was still attached, and they broke...the whole anti-siphon backflow built into them just froze and cracked. The faucet worked, sort of, since the closure part was protected from cold, but the water in the hose froze and destroyed the vacuum breaker. Many times.

Remove the hose.

I've replaced three or four at my former home in Michigan, when a sudden cold snap came in autumn when the hose was still attached, and they broke...the whole anti-siphon backflow built into them just froze and cracked. The faucet worked, sort of, since the closure part was protected from cold, but the water in the hose froze and destroyed the vacuum breaker. Many times.

Remove the hose.
Read my post again.

Would you like me to link you to the manufacturers website that has developed this valve that Im speaking of ?

What does your former homes have to do with what this manufacturer has developed ?

They didn’t always say that 🤣.

Learnt me sum thang....

But that model in the op’s pic clearly says you best remove da hose
Looked into one of these hydrants once. Its a certain model number of Woodfords. The regular one will burst if a hose is left on.

Looked into one of these hydrants once. Its a certain model number of Woodfords. The regular one will burst if a hose is left on.
Well sure it will, doesn’t everyone know that ?

The one I was posting about you could leave the hose on it and it not rupture.

Smart design . What do you think ?

That is the one that I was looking into. The one that you can leave a hose on and it won't rupture.

I believe is an option on a few different woodfords. Nice option if it works.

Read my post again.
Would you like me to link you to the manufacturers website that has developed this valve that Im speaking of ?
What does your former homes have to do with what this manufacturer has developed ?

I did read your post. Unfortunately, I spent way too much of my life in the frozen tundra of Michigan, so I have a lot of experience with sub-zero temperatures and water. Where is it that you live again?

I've been to the manufacturer's website. Pardon me if I don't believe everything from the manufacturer. If I lived in the snow belt or anyplace it gets cold, I'd be very wary of the manufacturer's claims. I'd remove the hose. Better safe than sorry.

Oh, we all know a picture is worth a thousand words. One of the parts that come with said "frost proof, burst proof hose bibb" is the warning plate. Yes, right from the manufacturer's parts list and website. It says, "Remove Hose or Faucet May Freeze And Burst". Guess they are just covering their bases, even if they say they provide consequential damage claims to $5,000. I wouldn't want to have to file such a claim, even if I were to be made whole. Who wants to test this, and who wants trouble? Not me.

And by the way, we're supposed to be sharing experiences here, which is precisely why my experience with my former home and a number of broken hose bibbs (all my fault) was offered. When mine broke from freezing--a number of them--it was never the pipe inside the home. It was always the "weak link" in the system, and they is the vacuum breaker on top. Always.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 12.47.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 12.47.46 PM.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 2
Back