Options for severed galvanized pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2002sheds

Reaction score
Hi All,
In my quest to repipe a 70 year old house on a slab, I have created a problem that now begs for a solution... a galvanized 1/2" hot water shower supply pipe that is still leaking...

In order to bring in pex, I needed to cut the approximately 16" tall supply pipe. There was not room to wiggle the top part of the pipe away from the old Price Pfister tub/shower supply while leaving it in place. The point where the vertical 1/2" pipe meets the valve consists of a brass fitting with a lip on it that fits onto the shower valve via a union.

Clearly, the whole setup was assembled one on top of the other, since the only way to remove the supply pipes was to cut them. Since I cannot get underneath the fitting (Slab floor), I did not have the option to cut the 90 degree elbow away.

I used a sleeve pipe repair contraption on both the cold water supply and the hot. The cold is holding, but the hot leaks when under pressure. I am wondering if my best option is to unscrew the remaining piece that goes down to an elbow that is below the slab and replace it with a nipple and threaded items beyond that, try the sleeve thing again after taking it off and cleaning it, or ??? Any help will be greatly appreciated. The sleeve repair thing is only going to be in place until a water heater is brought into service for the bathroom, allowing me to abandon the original pipes for good.

Thanks,
David

You need to cut out all the old pipe and install the pex.

Whatever it takes.

The idea is not to connect to any galvanize pipe because it’ll all be removed.

I agree with Twowax. If you leave any galvanized pipe, you will regret it.
Hi Twowax, Hav,
Thanks very much for the replies! I don't intend to leave the galvanized for any longer than it takes to switch line the over to pex. permanently The cold side for the bathroom is already plumbed with pex, and the galvanized plugged (while I convert the cold water on the other side of the house to pex, and then the cold water galvanized will be abandoned.
The issue is that I need the supply pipe temporarily until I install a tankless water heater for the bathroom (only, and there is only one bathroom)...
So... remove what's left for now and replace (only for a week or so) with a nipple? Some sort of patch? Other?

Thanks,
David

Okay,
To close this loop, here's what happened... I tried to remove the lower section of the pipe that had been cut. 8 other sections of pipe and fitting came off/out without incidence, so I was optimistic. I shouldn't have been... even after putting my back against a wall and pushing with my legs, the most I could do was to bend the pipe into a slight oval.
I realized that I needed to either try the compression sleeve again or proceed with the tankless heater. I inspected the short nipple that I had used for the top section of the repair, and found gouges from a pipe wrench on it. I replaced the top section with something "cleaner", and re-installed the compression sleeve. So far, so good !

David

Okay,
To close this loop, here's what happened... I tried to remove the lower section of the pipe that had been cut. 8 other sections of pipe and fitting came off/out without incidence, so I was optimistic. I shouldn't have been... even after putting my back against a wall and pushing with my legs, the most I could do was to bend the pipe into a slight oval.
I realized that I needed to either try the compression sleeve again or proceed with the tankless heater. I inspected the short nipple that I had used for the top section of the repair, and found gouges from a pipe wrench on it. I replaced the top section with something "cleaner", and re-installed the compression sleeve. So far, so good !

David
Be sure to clamp/anchor the compression sleeve. They will blow out without warning. It needs to be securely strapped to insure safety.

Hi Bre,
Thanks very much for your reply. I may or may not be describing the repair piece, which looks like the one below. I am definitely wary of this setup, and I am happy to say that it only needs to be in place for a short period of time (like maybe even tomorrow).

Thanks,
DavidScreen Shot 2022-08-16 at 4.24.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 4.24.13 PM.png

David

That is what we call a ‘dresser’ coupling (don’t know why). My comments stand.

Hi Bre,
Noted. They may off as soon as today. I am repiping an entire house, so the removal of these will be coordinated with the introduction of the new pipes.

Thanks,
David

Latest posts

Back