Opportunity knocks…

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL @Hamberg

yeah, tomorrow’s the day of turning the truck in and moving to Winston-Salem, home of RJR Tobacco 💨

in second grade we took a field trip to RJR’s tour plant in Winston. The lobby had a life sized camel made of fine domestic tobacco. I grew up ages 5-18 in a tobacco growing town 15 miles north of there, next to Tobaccoville.

getting down to my roots, learning how to run a plumbing company. now That starting a new chapter in my life 🥸

Thanks!

Today is the beginning day four working for the 12 employee residential plumbing company.

Monday I worked with the owner and estimated 4 jobs at people’s homes and one at a church. We opened a backed up septic tank lid which I’ve only done once before. I’m learning a lot about septic drainage.

Tuesday I installed fixtures on a custom home under construction. My first official residential construction site after 14yrs of commercial went well and I had a great day with that crew.

Wednesday I worked with the top service technician catching house calls all day and completed a service for a local cookie factory.

Overall I really like it here. The county the shop has a rural setting, which is very refreshing. I’m glad at this point in my career I am working for homeowners instead of pressured commercial general contractors. This company has a great group of field employees. They are smart and capable and share a good moral. The company is poised to grow in the city of Winston-Salem’s for residential and possibly the commercial market. We both know the growth must be well planned with the whole company working together.

Thanks for asking

Going into strangers homes everyday you get to see all kinds of things.

When you see where someone lays their head at night, you get a better understanding of what kind of person they are.

Some you can eat off the floor and others you want to put on coveralls to keep their nasty house off of you.

Some you can smell the stench from the street and the walls are stained yellow with nicotine

The ammonia so strong from cat urine it takes your breath away

Hoarders stacking junk mail, magazines and newspapers literally to the ceiling. Trails through the house to walk through.

Going into strangers homes everyday you get to see all kinds of things.

When you see where someone lays their head at night, you get a better understanding of what kind of person they are.

Some you can eat off the floor and others you want to put on coveralls to keep their nasty house off of you.

Some you can smell the stench from the street and the walls are stained yellow with nicotine

The ammonia so strong from cat urine it takes your breath away

Hoarders stacking junk mail, magazines and newspapers literally to the ceiling. Trails through the house to walk through.
I've seen things I'll never forget! One lady I worked for was actually on the TV show 'Hoarders'.

I've seen things I'll never forget! One lady I worked for was actually on the TV show 'Hoarders'.

I worked in some houses that should’ve been on the show🤣

Years ago I went to a house where they had to move an old lady out and Orkin pest control flew in a tv crew to do a company video on how to eradicate german cockroaches

The roaches were so thick you could take a clock off the wall and it would be solid roaches behind it.

They were even crawling around inside the digital clock on the stove.......

Got to prepare him if he is going to do any service work. I knocked over probably 1000 old outdated
coupons that were stacked waist high in the basement. Never seen so many coupons in my life. They were all cut out and
stacked in rows in the whole basement. I never seen this kind of stuff in commercial work. Once he retires he will
be able to write a book.

Last edited:
I got to cross something off my bucket list this week… Operate a Ditch Witch 🤠
ABF4E867-E151-4032-BC9E-DBEF2E917152.jpeg
It’s old and started with a screwdriver but ran like a champ!
4DB51BA6-583E-4AB2-9DAC-CEB2178A9E1A.jpeg
Now that was fun. I operated a mini ex for a while as well.
29BA2FB2-EF89-4DCA-A999-09DC11B706A0.jpeg
This is our customer.
They are paying us to supply the two homes at the end of this gravel road with county water meters instead of well water. This is in case a natural gas leak or accident occurs which would contaminate the immediate water table.
53DE08F2-49F6-4053-8F6C-4F8693718316.jpeg
The two 1” roll pipes had to be sleeved with 4” SCH 80 PVC when crossing over their main gas lines and soil dug with mini ex as well.

I like my job 😋

Last edited:
Matt, are you also required to contact "Dig Alert", and were they prompt in their response these days during covid?

Latest posts

Back