Ongoing drain backup

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zhy4757

Reaction score
We’ve had a ongoing issue with our kitchen sink gurgling and partially backing up. Plumbers have been out three times to snake the line. The first two were one year apart. The latest snaking was 6 months ago. Problem has resurfaced. During the last plumber visit, he removed two close 90 elbows and replaced them with 45s to allow a faster and more direct drain path. We also removed our garbage disposal after the second visit. After the last plumber visit, we started using an enzyme cleaner once a month. Nothing has worked.

How can a drain get partially blocked so quickly. We don’t dump any oil down the drain. The biggest issue is a long horizontal drain run, which I believe does not have enough slope. The plumber also said he can’t really clean the entire 1.5 pipe cause his 1.5” cutter won’t go around one of the bends. He admitted he cut a smaller hole in the bunk. House is about 42 years old. Ceiling is finished so I can’t see 95% of the long horizontal run.

I’m afraid my only solution is tearing up the textured drywall ceiling...I hate replacing and repairing drywall, especially finished textured one.

Any ideas? Would pics or a schematic help?

Drain cleaning can be done with various equipment and various techniques.

Not every drain man is equal.

That said, it might be time for a replacement or partial replacement.

It comes down to how much confidence you have in the professionals you’ve called and how much money you’re throwing at this drain every few months to keep it flowing.

What type pipe is it ?

Any other back up with the drains ? Main drain open and clear ?

Which ceiling would need to be cut into?

Can you just install a clean-out in the ceiling, and install an access door?

However, snaking through that clean-out would likely make a mess on the floor under it.

Drain cleaning can be done with various equipment and various techniques.

Not every drain man is equal.

That said, it might be time for a replacement or partial replacement.

It comes down to how much confidence you have in the professionals you’ve called and how much money you’re throwing at this drain every few months to keep it flowing.

What type pipe is it ?

Any other back up with the drains ? Main drain open and clear ?
It’s black 1.5” abs. No other issues anywhere else

Which ceiling would need to be cut into?

Can you just install a clean-out in the ceiling, and install an access door?

However, snaking through that clean-out would likely make a mess on the floor under it.
It would be the basement ceiling. Drywalled. Texture finished. I’ve thought about putting a clean out in. The plumber put one in near the main stack. Although he said he can’t clean the full 1.5” because his 1.5” cutter won’t make the turn. I could open the ceiling and put a clean out at one end of the long horizontal run. I’d then need to buy a quality drain powered drain snake.

I’d located the problem and replace that section or wrong fittings.

Thats your permanent solution.

If your long horizontal section is 1.5 inch, that is your problem, should be two inch.

Kitchen drains are always full of grease and food waste.

You might be able to slip in a wider drain, in sections, from a ceiling opening at each end of the basement.

Shimmed with glued on spacers underneath, to maintain slope.

Would I need to go 2” for the entire run from the sink to the main stack?

The problem is where the drain man can’t get his cable to go through or just past that point.,

Replacing the rest is probably a waste of time if it’s ABS and not falling apart.,

Back