On Demand External Water Switch For Transfer Pump?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcxboxps

Reaction score
I'm a little new to pumps, but I have a rain barrel setup where I currently have a DC transfer pump installed that does not have any type of built in pressure switch like an on-demand pump has, but instead of having to replace the entire transfer pump with an on-demand pump, I was wondering if there is a cheap adjustable external pressure switch I can install and wire in series with the pump?

On demand pumps are junk. You can use a regular well pump pressure switch if that pump will build enough pressure to work at 20/40 or so. You will also need a pressure tank to keep the pump from rapid cycling. A regular RV type DC pump has a built in switch, and they cycle on and off rapidly while you are using water. I add a pressure tank to smooth it out. AC jet pumps are best if you are supplying any amount of water like to a house or something.

On demand pumps are junk. You can use a regular well pump pressure switch if that pump will build enough pressure to work at 20/40 or so. You will also need a pressure tank to keep the pump from rapid cycling. A regular RV type DC pump has a built in switch, and they cycle on and off rapidly while you are using water. I add a pressure tank to smooth it out. AC jet pumps are best if you are supplying any amount of water like to a house or something.

Hey Valveman, thanks for the quick reply. Here is the transfer pump I have from Harbor Freight which does not show the PSI: 12v DC Transfer Pump 290 GPH

For my application I'm using the pump to provide a little more pressure when watering my garden using a nozzle sprayer or if I hook it up to a soaker hose.

Overall, I'm trying to keep the costs low, but not familiar with the well pump pressure switch and the pressure tank setup. Was hoping I might be able to just install the pressure switch and not use a tank if possible?

I'm assuming this is the style pressure switch you are referring to?: https://www.amazon.com/Square-Schne...ll+pump+pressure+switch&qid=1614262584&sr=8-9

I'm a little new to pumps, but I have a rain barrel setup where I currently have a DC transfer pump installed that does not have any type of built in pressure switch like an on-demand pump has, but instead of having to replace the entire transfer pump with an on-demand pump, I was wondering if there is a cheap adjustable external pressure switch I can install and wire in series with the pump?
I use a rain barrel and a small pump with a garden hose. I use a remote control to turn the pump on and off. 🤷‍♂️😬

But I’m hand watering with the hose not leaving it or connecting to an automatic system.

Yeah that switch will work. But the 20 PSI between on and off happens very quickly without a pressure tank. Some people call it telegraphing because the pump is cycling so fast.

Yeah that switch will work. But the 20 PSI between on and off happens very quickly without a pressure tank. Some people call it telegraphing because the pump is cycling so fast.

I only turn it on when I want water. When I want the flow to stop 10 minutes later I turn my little pump off with the remote.

I’m pumping worm tea, so it’s valuable.

I also like the remote control if the pump runs out of worm tea to pump.

I only turn it on when I want water. When I want the flow to stop 10 minutes later I turn my little pump off with the remote.

I’m pumping worm tea, so it’s valuable.

I also like the remote control if the pump runs out of worm tea to pump.
How much does it actually hurt the pump when the pump is left running but has no where to push the water? I can definitely hear the motor sound different whenever close off the water exit path (for example with a garden hose nozzle).

Hmmm I wish there was a video somewhere that would show more of what you mean? I guess since this is something I've never done it seems complicated so was hoping all I needed was the pressure switch. But adding a tank to my small system seems expensive & complicated, but I have not look into it yet.

Have you come across any straight forward tutorials/videos that explain how to setup a system like this that will be placed outdoors and exposed to the weather?

How much does it actually hurt the pump when the pump is left running but has no where to push the water? I can definitely hear the motor sound different whenever close off the water exit path (for example with a garden hose nozzle).
That’s called dead heading. It’s not good for the pump, not sure if some pumps allow this......

I don’t do that, I turn the water on and off with a remote control .

I dont have a shut off on my hose.

Latest posts

Back