Old Wall Mount Faucet - Exterior Nut Below Handle Broke

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mech20

Reaction score
Hi all. I tried to remove the cold water stem from a faucet in order to replace the gasket. As I was attempting this, it cracked and then eventually about 1/3 of the nut broke off.

Threads are exposed and the nut is loose when turning the nut itself. Thus far with the main valve on there is no water leaking from it. When I open the hot water valve, a little bit of water comes out of the nut portion on the cold valve but then stops.

#1. Is this a part I can replace? I don't care whether it matches the hot water turn knob.

#2. Should I be weary of water pressure popping the cold water stem out? I'm not sure of the workings underneath as I stopped messing with it as soon as it cracked. I'm not sure if there is something besides the nut securing it down or if it's thus far stayed in place only because of many years of sediment and such binding it together.

Photo attached. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Wall Mount Faucet.jpg
    Wall Mount Faucet.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 38
Playing with fire! Just get a new Chicago faucet. Union off, union on done deal.

Playing with fire! Just get a new Chicago faucet. Union off, union on done deal.
If I go with a new faucet, any thoughts on securing this while the new one comes in? I've been turning the main water off at night and when not home. Would putting some of that concrete putty around the nut and exposed threads help? Thanks.

Also, just for the sake of creating an educational thread...

1. Can that part be replaced.
2. Is there anything else internally holding that stem down other than the exposed nut.

Thanks.

Just in case anyone ends up with the same issue. A Home Depot associate had a good temporary idea while waiting on a new faucet. He suggested wrapping the damaged nut in electrical tape and then clamping the faucet handle down in order to make sure it doesn't pop out because of water pressure. And obviously only keep the main water on when you need it and when you're able to monitor it (ie when you're awake and at home).

Do you have second hand plumbing supplies near you where they take stuff from old homes like when freeways are built? You might be able to find one there. That said from the condition it looks like you got your monies worth out of that one. If it broke in part because of corrosion, who knows what will be next.

Latest posts

Back