Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobDunston

Reaction score
F95EDEAA-A30F-4B48-AE6A-28F8E05C7E73.jpeg Hello,

I discovered what I an old concrete septic tank in my back yard with the top collapsed in. The tank was mostly filled with dirt, with a couple feet of water in the corner. (Feeling lucky it didn’t crest a sinkhole.) A landscaper friend recommended I dig out/ pull water out enough to punch hole in bottom concrete & fill with gravel. As I attempt to dig out, as I gain momentum, water starts seeping in from the side(About 2ft from top of tank) & keeps it at a constant level.

Should I be doing this?

Can I get I’ll from shoveling this poo mud?
Or can my family/pet get sick from exposure?

My house was build in 1957. Currently on city water/sewer. Has been since maybe the 70’s.

Not sure how to move forward. Any suggestion appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think i would pump it out run all the fixtures in your house if iyou dont see any water entering,if ypu have a ground water pump run
that and see what happens,you culd also contact the town they may have older plans

When you abandon a septic you are supposed to pump it and fill it with dirt. After the tank is pumped, LOTS of homeowners dont spend the $ to fill the tank with dirt. The town probably inspected the sewer connection and got the pumping reciept to pass the sewer connection. I might be 3000 miles away from you and cant evaluate the health danger but I would fill it with dirt and walk away.

Make sure none of you drains are running into it, and then fill it with sand/dirt and forget about it.

Latest posts

Back