Old Moen faucet removal...help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_20180820_113123237.jpg IMG_20180820_113133777.jpg IMG_20180820_113210763.jpg IMG_20180820_113220244.jpg Hi guys. I'm trying to help my father remove an old Moen faucet and he is 75 and has NO patience. We are also in a bad financial situation so any help you can give me will greatly be appreciated. We need to take this faucet off but we can't figure out how??? There is no screw in the middle. The inner walls of the thing we need to take off is threaded, but we don't want to damage anything. Can anyone help? I attached pictures for reference.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is the handle, and the hole in the very middle had a screw that retained it to the valve. It looks really caked up with hard water lime, and is going to be a pain to get out. But, at this point it pulls straight off. You might want to go to HomeDesperate, and look at the Moen cartridges to get an idea of what it looks like behind the handle.

Once it is off, you remove the Phillips head screws an pull the trim off, to get to the valve body. I’m guessing the cartridge will be pretty tightly held in the body, and you will need a cartridge removal tool to get it out. HomeDesperate sells them, and the replacement cartridge.

There are quite a few YouTube posts, that will,show you how to pull the cartridge.

There might be a screw in there, but I doubt it. You might try using aa waterpick or similar with some distilled vinegar, and some dental picks, to get most of the lime off and double check.

Why do you think it's a Moen.
Been awhile but I'm thinkimg maybe that is Price Pfister .

does it turn counter clockwise for on? Starts out cold and the hot as you turn it more?
or do you pull for on? then turn left or right for temperature

I ain’t fully convinced it’s a moen either. Both brands have new handles on shelf. Take channel locks and squeeze that handle to pieces. Might be $15 added to project. Could be a mien 1225 tho. I don’t recognize the plate screws as moen. They do look like fister or delta. Once you expose stem. We can identify pretty quick

I just repaired a MOEN widespread lav faucet today.
It's a CONCENTRIX.
Drill out the head of the screw.
It should pull off the cartridge, once the head of the screw is removed.
You don't have to use the same trim.
It's either a Positemp or Moentrol due to the configuration of screws on cover plate

Latest posts

Back