Old leaking pipe...Need advice...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan J Stangl

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a leaking pipe in my basement ceiling, and I'm not sure how to stop it.

From what I can tell, it's an old galvanized pipe, probably 2" in outside diameter, that seems to have been disconnected some time ago. Part of the pipe is visible under our sink (cut off at the back of the cabinet and sealed up with something - plumber's puddy?) and the other part that I can see is up in the ceiling in my basement office. Well, the end in my office is clogged/sealed up with something that occasionally starts dripping water. It's happened over the years, and I've used a little foam cup to catch the drips, but it usually stops after awhile. It's currently very damp and gooey, and last night, while running some grounding wire, I bumped it and it started dripping and hasn't stopped. I'm not sure what it's attached to; my initial thought was that it was the original drain pipe for the sink back when the house was built, and I can't figure out where the water would be coming from, unless there's something else connecting to this pipe aside from what I can see that still has water in it.

So is there another way to cap off or seal up the dripping end so that I don't have to deal with it anymore? I've attached some pictures: one of the gooey, drippy end; one of the whole ceiling pipe assembly (the back, back part seems to be capped off with one of those square caps on it).

Attachments

• Leaky Pipe - Ceiling Assembly.jpg
    Leaky Pipe - Ceiling Assembly.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 12
  • Leaky Pipe - Gooey Drippy End.jpg
    Leaky Pipe - Gooey Drippy End.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 11
Here's another picture - of the pipe end under the sink that seems to be filled with plumbers puddy or something.

Attachments

• Pipe Under Sink -  Filled.jpg
    Pipe Under Sink - Filled.jpg
    877.8 KB · Views: 10
Go to supply shop and get a dollar plug to deal it after you remove putty also the line could be clogged and that is why it is leaking

Back