Old home/septic tank. Rectangular access port with no easily identified lift points

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tex J

Reaction score
hi everyone. new member here.

attached is an image of the only identifiable access port to my septic tank. It was last serviced in 2016 (late in the year) and now I am looking to have it serviced again, so I dug it up. I expected to see a some sort of pry point like an electrical box and my fear is trying to lift this and having it slide in.

has anyone seen this kind of tank lid before? if so, what do I need to be aware of.

Its worth mentioning that the young man who works for the local septic company and servicing my area has not seen a lid like this either.

Thanks!

Tex

Attachments

• septic.jpg
    septic.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
Yeah, the outfit I called is the same company that serviced it in 2016 for the previous owners. That said, none of the employees were around at that time (who knew the turn over rate in the septic industry was so high. I will reach out to a couple of others to see if they have any input.

Could it be related to this type of setup? (see photo below) Those are concrete slabs laid across the tank. Generally they are rather heavy and there is a good chance a slab will fall in when you're trying to move it, especially if you don't have help. This is a photo I found from an online search. I should have some photos I took of this kind of setup showing a slab being removed so you can get a better idea of it, but I don't have access to them at the moment.

Do septic systems in your area ever get inspected by a regulatory authority, such as a health department or something? If so, they may have some more information about your system.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Back