Old Elkay tub faucet.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notaplumber95

Reaction score
Hi I'm currently in a bit of a pickle with this old tub and shower in the downstairs of my house. My house was built in the late 70s- early 80s. I've been able to find that it is an Elkay brand faucet.

My issue is the cold water side stopped shutting off completely and I figured it was the stem. I decided to try and remove said stem and it broke in half! I then removed the hot side which came right out to try and compare it to one at the hardware store. What I soon figured out is I'm out of luck trying to find one that fits.

I did some researching and found the correct stems from online suppliers but, they are rather expensive, to the point that it would be better to change the whole faucet system out for a new one. Here we run into problem number two.

Whoever built my house didn't put an access panel to the plumbing for the tub and shower! So now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I was curious to know if there were any stems that could substitute for the ones I need? There a several that look very similar for much cheaper. I really don't want to have to cut a whole in the wall but I realize itight be the only option. I wanted to consult someone with more experience than myself in the matter before I grab the sawzall and safety goggles. Thanks!

(I attached a screenshot of the stem that fits my faucet)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200801-150833.png
    Screenshot_20200801-150833.png
    364.5 KB · Views: 6
If you were able to remove the cold side, I’m sure replacing the stems would be much cheaper than changing out the valve. If what you have pictured goes with your valve then that’s what you need, change the stems if the originals lasted since the 70s/80s that’s not to bad

Back