Old chrome bathroom sink trap - need help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sekess

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new here and I need some help with my old bathroom sink trap. As you can see from the pic, the nut has corroded and needs to be replaced. However, this trap only has a collar nut on the sink side. The other side looks like it's directly threaded onto a pipe (probably galvanized). But, I'm not 100% certain since that covering prevents me from seeing the actual connection.
How do I go about removing this trap so as to either just replace the nut or replace the entire trap with a new chrome trap? Do I need to cut this trap off - so that I can facilitate unscrewing the threaded section from the pipe coming out of the wall?
And also - out of curiosity - is there a name for this old style trap?
Thanks,
Steve

Bath Trap.jpg

That might be called an LA pattern trap.

If you don’t care about looks, maybe you could just cut the trap arm about in the middle, add a no hub coupling, and then install a new tubular trap in chrome or plastic.

i think thats a galvi nipple under that sleeve,i think if you try to loosen that trap nut the trap may come off in your hand, you cold try it but hold back so nothing else moves or....
possibly cut the chrome tail piece just above the trap with a tubing cutter, then cut thru the rubber gasket under the
sink with a sawmill, then try to cut thru the trap nut with a small hack saw, being careful not to cut into the threads
then just re install a new pop up assembly and if everything breaks
you can cut it close to the wall transition to pvc from there
or try backing out the rest of the galvi nipple and start from the tee in the wall

Thanks for all the responses guys.
From what you all said, I think my plan should be to replace that trap with a standard1.5" chrome one with a trap nut on either side. This way, I can remove it easily in the future if needed.
To do this, I'll cut the trap and then try and unscrew it from that galvanized nipple coming out of the wall.
Now, do they make a chrome elbow piece that'll thread into the nipple on one side and then mate up with a standard 1.5" trap on the other (with a trap nut)?

no, i don't think so....if the trap nut is failing the rest of the piping is basically the same shape, you have 2 options (1)cut the galvi fairly close to the wall
you will start with an 1 1/2 mission coupling this allows you to transition from galvi to pvc
then use a union style trap,or a regular glued trap and the appropriate fittings to connect to you new pop up assembly.
(second )option would be to cut the galvi fairliy close to the wall and remove the whole nipple from the tee in the wall
and repipe with pvc

Hi Geofd,
I absolutely prefer pvc when it's hidden inside a cabinet. But, this trap and associated piping is all exposed. Is there a scenario where I can stick with chrome?
Thanks

Hi Geofd,
I absolutely prefer pvc when it's hidden inside a cabinet. But, this trap and associated piping is all exposed. Is there a scenario where I can stick with chrome?
Thanks
Hi Geofd,
Thanks
yeh one thing i wanted to mention if your gonna use the transition coupling it HAS to be a stainless steel 4 band
shielded coupling NOT a fernco rubber 2 band...
i believe there is a chrome sleeved pvc trap but you would have to confirm that just by searching

Hmm. I've never seen those. That would be the way to go. I'll definitely do a search.
Thanks

Google this: chrome plated pvc p trap
Available at Lowes, and elsewhere of course.

Back