Old Cesspool system

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NutmegCT

Reaction score
Hi all. First post!

I'm interested in buying an old house (1730), which has a cesspool waste system at least 100 years old: a stone "tank", with no leach field or other tank. Toilet waste goes directly to cesspool; gray water (sinks, bathtub, washer) goes separately to a gray water dispersal trench into a flower garden bed.

This is an old, and old fashioned, system! But as it's been working for over 50 years, by the current two people in the house, should I accept it as "ok"? or should it be replaced with a modern septic/leach system asap? Replacement here in Connecticut would run at least $15K.

Thanks.
Tom M.

If it's not broken don't fix it. I'm from CT and your not to far off with the price of a new system.
Thanks John. One issue that pops up, is that lenders don't want to finance a purchase, if there's a cesspool in use. They don't care whether it works or not, or what condition its in. It's considered more likely to pollute the soil or air, than a modern septic system.
Tom M.

The state Department of Environmental Quality, may have grants to help install the new septic system.

and, is there a city / county inspection that might fail it.... (grandfathered for original owner, but once ownership changes.....???)

I've heard about septic system loans, but not grants. Interesting.

"Failing" is tough to certify. Waste system inspectors will say "old system" or "poor design", etc. But how would they say it fails, if it's still receiving waste - unless the surface soil is wet with sewage?

I had one in Forest Service housing fail this spring. I knew it failed because the solids were backed up to the house. When we pulled the top, the composted waste was within three inches of the top.

The two houses it served had been in place since 1933. It looked original to that period.

Had to deal with some undertrained tech at the Health District on the design for the new one, who had no idea what she was doing. Ended up having to get the States Environmental Quality Engineers involved. They passed my new, over engineered, far exceeds standards, system.

Generally Septic pits fail by definition. They emit untreated waste straight out the bottom, and into the water table.

You need a digestion tank, and then a release rate from teh leach field. If the soils are too porous you need to retard the seepage, to allow time for the final digestion.

Thanks gents. Nothing is simple! I'm actually thinking that I'd be better off if the inspector fails the system. That would cancel the purchase unless the seller pays for a new system.

Tom M.

Latest posts

Back