OK for an access to be installed to drainfield?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffOYB

Reaction score
I'm wondering if it's OK to install a point of access to a septic drainfield. I'd like a way to do maintenance on the field. This is a non-engineered system. The outlet from the tank immediately hits a tee. And the outlet is protected by a filter. If I ever have to clean or snake or de-root the drainfield it seems like it would be good to be able to access it. So instead of just burying the whole thing, I'd like to install an access "tank" with a lid at some point that would let me work on the tubes of the drainfield. What do you think?

PS: I've studied this some more. It looks like I'm describing a "D-Box." But I'm thinking of an access just to the middle of a section of drainfield line. I've seen description of multiple d-boxes. Hmmm...

https://inspectapedia.com/septic/Septic_D-Box.php

Last edited:
Actually a lot of newer septic systems have a vent on end of leachfield that attachs to one of the lines.It helps the leachfield breathe better and is recommended on some septic designs,so a pipe you described would be a good idea. If the vent smells in the yard they make a charcoal filter to block the odor.

Latest posts

Back