Oily spots in water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex.G

Reaction score
I have oily water spots/residues randomly coming out of my shower faucet. Happening for 15 year since I bought the house. Sometimes is happens, then it doesn't happen for a few weeks. When it happens, you can see the spots floating in the water if you fill the bathtub.
House is locate din FL and was built in the 70's
Note that the water heater was replaced with a new unit just a couple of years ago. The issue with the oily spots was there before that and I thought it would be resolved by replacing it.
The faucet cartridge was also replaced about 3 years ago.
Any idea what could be causing it or how to troubleshoot for it?

Thanks,
Alex

Last edited:
Have your water tested, at a couple different places were do you get your water from ,well, city??????
Water is from City. Asked neighbors in the same block and none has this issue.

Does it come out of both the hot and cold of the bathtub faucet ? Or just the hot ? Or just the cold ?

You need to know that.

If it’s coming out of both hot and cold I would investigate the cartridge and valve.

You say this is only happening at the bathtub maybe it’s everywhere but you’re not running enough water in a vessel to see it like in the bathtub.

It’s important to accurately rule out things....

I suspect it’s coming from the water heater. Humor me........get a garden hose and connect it to the hot valve for the washing machine. Then go fill the tub up with hot water with this hose.

check for oily stuff as you’ve described.

You could repeat this test with cold water from a hose Bibb outside or at the washing machine. Fill the tub, check for your residue.

start when the water heater has heated to full capacity.

Latest posts

Back