Offset flange advice

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironhide87

Reaction score
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpgI am replacing a wax ring on a commode at my company due to a leak at floor level. The picture included is what the cast iron offset flange looks like and there is an ear that slightly (about 1 inch or so) impedes the flow of the drain.
When I pulled the commode off, there was almost no wax left (looks like about 20+ years of wear and tear). I am not sure why they choose to offset as the drain hole is actually further away from the wall (did they offset it backwards??)
This leaves me in a predicament of having to use a wax ring on an offset flange. I have heard the splice and dice theories, just don't know if this is the right thing to do....... or do I cut off iron flange and replace with new PVC designed for cast iron (not offset just regular) and go on my merry way.
For anyone recommending keep the iron flange, could you please explain why it would be a good idea to allow that ear to remain if it is just obviously in the way of flow.

I don't understand what you think the problem is. Measure from the back wall to the closet bolts. Should be 12"

Why not just put a wax ring on it and call it a day?

Latest posts

Back