odor from toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfloresfour

Reaction score
I have moved into a home that is about 10 years old and have lived in it for about a year now I have a upstairs bathroom toilet that has a odor eminating from it, I know that the toilet is lightly used and have never had a problem with this toilet before, However I do not know why this odor is ever so present and especially during these recent hot summer days we've been having, Iam thinking that maybe it may be a bad or worn wax ring, I havnt seen any leaking or water build up. can you help

Yeah, I'd pull the toilet and replace the wax ring. Also, check for prior seepage around the flange and clean and dry it before resetting.

I agree. Pull the toilet and replace the wax seal. Since the only trap is in the toilet bowl, the odor is probably coming from a damaged seal below the toilet. Most toilets are installed as close as possible to the main vent, so all the smell passes by the toilet and the seal.

Is there a baseboard rad next to the toilet? I've seen a number of them that had dust in them and had been piddle splashed. They get a bit manky in humid weather.

yeap, It was hard and had a crack in it.......I have now replaced all the wax rings in my bathrooms and one toilet, thanks again for your advise...

Latest posts

Back