ODD well situation- what pump??

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

campwell

Reaction score
I have an old well on my land that I'm trying to revive. The outside casing is 2" and the inside piping is 1", both PVC. It used to have a 1/2 hp jet pump on it that sit on top. This will be used for a tiny cabin (1 toilet, 1 sink), so I do not want to spend a fortune on a new pump. The odd part (to me) is that the water level (not much rain lately) is at around 35' deep, and the 1" piping is only 40' (so only 5' in water). But when I drop weights on the end of a string down, I find that the well is around 130' deep. I've tried a cheap Lowe's convertible jet pump, but I can only run that type as a single pipe installation (with the jet above ground) because my 2" casing will not allow for 2 pipes and a jet to fit down. 25' is the normal max for most convertible shallow well jet pumps, and I cannot get it to prime that way. So, since I will probably have to get a true deep well jet pump, should I go ahead and add an extra 20' onto the length of my pipe to get the foot valve further in the water, and what kind of pump can I use that won't break the bank? I see that there is a type of pump that is a single pipe deep well, but I'd have no idea where to get this... any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated!!

You would have to pull the pipe out of the well to really know what you have. The water in the 1" pipe could be seeping down and I don't know how in the world you got anything down the 2" with the 1" in the casing. So if you pull the 1" (if it will come out) you can then measure your well depth and water level. The water level is the most important measurement.

A picture of the well would be beneficial in showing me what you have.

I actually did pull the 1" pipe out- that's how I realized it was only 40' long. I'm starting to think that this well was re-done, because I know it was originally from the 1960's, and then about 20 yrs ago it was used again for a short time to provide water for livestock. I'm thinking that my cousins just put the least amount of pipe they needed to reach water since it would not be used for household consumption. Since I know that the well is around 130' deep, I think I will add about another 20' to get a little further down to a little better water, and put a jet pump that fits on the 2" casing and then go from there. Let me know what you think, and thanks for the info!

The water in the well is the same no matter where you put the pipe and you will need the single pipe jet system to make it all work. The single pipe jet has to be near the water. It can be above it or below it, but going deeper will not make it work better, it will simple add friction loss. Here is a page on my website that shows how it all goes together: http://www.pumpsandtanks.com/Helpful-Info/single_pipe.htm
I can also supply you with everything you need.

Back