Odd Smell After Plumbing Work

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vrf19977

Reaction score
We recently had some work done on our water heater and gas valve (we have natural gas for heat and hot water). After the work was done, we've noticed a very strong, unpleasant odor coming from the utility closet in our apartment. It's not the "rotten egg" smell of natural gas (unless something is very wrong with our noses lol). The best I can describe it is that it smells something like Pepto Bismol. I even had a friend visit yesterday and they immediately said the same thing, that it smells like Pepto. It's really unpleasant and is permeating the whole apartment, but it's definitely coming from that utility closet where they worked.

Any idea what could be causing this? We did notice that they put down what looks like a bunch of insulation of some kind on the floor around the water heater, but I don't know if it's there intentionally or if it's meant to be thrown out and they just left it there.

some pipe dope products have distintive smells...call them back.
What's a "pipe dope product"? We're hoping it's not dangerous or harmful, of course. I'd already planned to call them in the morning, but they don't have a very good record of responding to customers!

What's a "pipe dope product"? We're hoping it's not dangerous or harmful, of course. I'd already planned to call them in the morning, but they don't have a very good record of responding to customers!
It’s a pipe thread lubricant and sealant.

You might have a fuel gas leak or a combustion gas leak. I’d get it checked ASAP.

You haven’t done any oil based painting or staining in that area have you. Fumes from polyurethane and things can react and cause bad smells around gas appliances.

You haven’t done any oil based painting or staining in that area have you. Fumes from polyurethane and things can react and cause bad smells around gas appliances.

Nope. It's a very ODD smell, not really bad at first sniff. Just weird and unpleasant. Seriously, like sniffing an open bottle of Pepto Bismol, so it's not obviously horrible, just... a bit unpleasant. But it's lingered so long that it's becoming rather disgusting. We can't get rid of it.

Nope. It's a very ODD smell, not really bad at first sniff. Just weird and unpleasant. Seriously, like sniffing an open bottle of Pepto Bismol, so it's not obviously horrible, just... a bit unpleasant. But it's lingered so long that it's becoming rather disgusting. We can't get rid of it.

Hope you can get to the bottom of it. Guess I’d try calling back the workers to see if they had a guess. Let us know what the problem is once it’s solved.

Latest posts

Back