Odd Question - Source for Replacement Flange

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsteiger

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is a shot in the dark but thought this community may have ideas. I need to source a substitute for a badly-corroded flange from a commercial espresso machine boiler. The machine is 40 years old and I've reached out to manufacturers, hobbyist forums, parts suppliers--all with no luck.

The piece is cast aluminum with an inner diameter of 7 7/8" and outer diameter or 10" (unit has room for a larger OD). I can drill bolt holes. Does anyone have suggestions for a similarly-size flange from plumbing applications (steel or aluminum)? A company quoted $550 for an aluminum ring, custom machined (flat, no holes), which unfortunately is too expensive for this unit.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions. Many thanks all.

unnamed.jpg

That is a great idea, thank you!

A gunsmith/maker may be able to help or or a machine shop.

If you walked into a shop with the plate marked out I can’t see it costing over a couple hundred to have it cut out.

You just need to find the right guy. Maybe put an ad out on Craigslist.

Here is a 7 7/8” hole saw. You could cut the hole yourself. I’d keep it cool while cutting. Real cool
https://www.exchangeablade.com/products/v/417/7-7-8-M3-Industrial-Hole-Saw-Recyclable-Exchangeable/

A gunsmith/maker may be able to help or or a machine shop.

If you walked into a shop with the plate marked out I can’t see it costing over a couple hundred to have it cut out.

You just need to find the right guy. Maybe put an ad out on Craigslist.

Here is a 7 7/8” hole saw. You could cut the hole yourself. I’d keep it cool while cutting. Real cool
https://www.exchangeablade.com/products/v/417/7-7-8-M3-Industrial-Hole-Saw-Recyclable-Exchangeable/
Thank you! That's another good idea, and I need to take something in anyway for service.

Do you have a water jet cutting place near you?
I had a sort of similar looking, but larger diameter, 3/16" thick 1100 series aluminum gasket made by water jet for $26.00.
They scan the piece, load the scan into the cutting machine & in a few minutes it's done- complete with bolt holes. It was fun to watch, too. (I specified 1100 series because it's compressible to forgive any imperfections in the mating surfaces.)

Plan B: If it doesn't get too hot for the material, maybe a 3D printing person could help. There are lots of hobbyists who'd be glad to work with you.

Plan C: Ask on Appliancejunk (com) with the model number. Someone there may have a parts source for your machine. Or call Mr. Gas in Warren, Michigan. 800 852-4277 They have a generous variety parts for uncommon commercial appliances & are willing to special order items & mail them to you.

Hope one of these helps,
Paul

Not 3D printing if it’s hot or under pressure. I like the waterjet idea unless it needs to be in two pieces.

Latest posts

Back