O ring stuck in water filter casing’s threads

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Novice_home-owner

Reaction score
The o ring for my whole house water filter is wound (and tightened) into the threads connecting the filter cartridge’s casing to the base/top of the filter. I’ve noticed this after unsuccessfully attempting to get it off 1) using the plastic wrench, 2) using a second plastic wrench, 3) using pvc over the handle of one wrench as a lever (didn’t have wide enough pvc for two wrenches), and breaking the handle of that wrench, 4) hair dryer for several minutes, then hammer and mallet taps, then attempting with one plastic wrench, and finally 5) with a strap wrench (designed for oil filter) and ratchet, which didn’t work nearly as well (to get a baseline reference point for the tool) on my larger filter as the plastic wrench did - the larger filter can be loosened just fine. At this point do I just need to get someone to cut the copper pipes and install a whole new water filter, or is there any hope of getting this off with the o ring between the casing and base? It’s not worked its way up into the threads, as can be seen in the picture, but it’s clearly at the base of the threads under the casing, not seated where it should be.

Attachments

• 0C443B92-6EF6-45BD-BAD6-B764264D192E.jpeg
    0C443B92-6EF6-45BD-BAD6-B764264D192E.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
Just get the exact same filter,there are already unions on both sides of the existing one
@Geofd Thanks! It sounds like you’re saying it will just twist off? I didn’t realize that was an option. I have no experience with copper plumbing or installing filters, but have friends with a little more experience.

Last edited:
If this filter is located where there is any light don't buy a clear one, light can cause bacteria to grow in the filter. appearance of the filter means nothing anyhow, if water flows through it well it's fine, when the flowrate slows down change it.

If this filter is located where there is any light don't buy a clear one, light can cause bacteria to grow in the filter. appearance of the filter means nothing anyhow, if water flows through it well it's fine, when the flowrate slows down change it.
@RS Thanks! Never heard of the bacteria. Does that apply to artificial light, too, then (not just sunlight)? It’s in my basement.

@Geofd Thanks! It sounds like you’re saying it will just twist off? I didn’t realize that was an option. I have no experience with copper plumbing or installing filters, but have friends with a little more experience
You need to shut off the water to the filter, loosen the nuts on each side then the whole filter will come out, install the threaded fittings on the new filter, use Teflon tape, and thread sealant after that thread into the new filter then re connect to the water pipe

Artificial light isn't such a problem, and you probably don't leave the light on all the time. Be careful what kind of sealant you use on the pipe fittings, not all are compatible with plastic. Good luck!

Back