Nozzle to clear out unusual drain?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scattershot

Reaction score
We have a Swedish-made console sink in our bathroom. Instead of being on the bottom of the sink, the drain is on the side underneath a lip (see attached photo). I know it looks like an overflow hole, but this is the one and only drain opening in the sink (which is kind of like a flat tabletop rather than a concave basin).

The height and depth of the gap under the lip is 5/8". The drain opening itself is 5/8" high by about 2 1/4" wide.

This has been clogging a lot. I've found that using a garden hose with spray gun is about the best way to keep this cleaned out, but a lot of water ends up around the bathroom. I'd like to find a nozzle that would fit in this 5/8" x 2 1/4" profile to direct water under pressure into the drain more effectively. The bladder-type nozzles I've seen seem to be designed for round drain openings.

Any suggestions for a better way to direct water under pressure into this drain?

eurosink.jpg

Get a one foot length of the thinnest wall 1-1/2-inch PVC pipe you can find. Get a large pot of water boiling, immerse the end of the pipe in the boiling water to heat it to the plastic phase, shouldn’t take more than a few seconds. Then flatten it a bit, let it cool and dip it in the boiling again, flatten and cool. Then dip it again, and then push it into the slot. Once you have that done glue on reducers as required to get it adapted to a 3/4-inch female hose fitting.

??? Is the sink only about 4" deep?
Could you step back about 2' and take an "overall" pic of the sink? I've been doing this over 40 years and haven't seen anything like this.

Sounds like a terrible design. I’d replace it with something sanitary.

Latest posts

Back