Novice plumber - Basement finish with bathroom

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good day everyone- What a forum. Thanks for sharing all your knowledge and I am ready to learn. Glad to be here.

I am working on finishing my basement. Im onto the bathroom plumbing. The builder looks to have somewhat roughed in for a bathroom. Ive attached some pictures. Im unsure what i am really dealing with and exactly what to do next.

1 - Guessing its the shower/tub drain and the shower fixture will go on the opposite wall. How high does the water supplies go for the stand up shower? This doesnt seem to be directly in the center of my framed out future shower. its offset to the right side a little.
2 - toilet drain? I screwed up and put the back wall 10.5" from the middle of the toilet drain. I saw I could get a 2" offset flange or a 10.5" toilet?
3- 2" Vent and vanity drain? I tried to draw in what I would tie into on the pic. How high above does the vent pipe tie in? Does the drain also tie in as I tried to draw in? How high does that go? Do I bring in the water supply right near it? I figured the drain would be on the center of the vanity and the supplies to the left and right.

Speaking of water supplies, I have the main supplies running along with the hvac supply trunk, down the center of the basement. Im probably about 15-20 feet away from the bathroom to tap in. Can I use pex? Do I just bring a hot and cold over to the bathroom and the branch off from there for the shower and vanity and one cold for the toilet? Do these need to be a certain height or branched off a certain way?

I appreciate all the help I can get. Am I missing anything? Ive never done a bathroom from kind of start to finish and I am really excited to get started and do it right and to code.

Thanks again!!

Attachments

• Inked20201122_100532_LI (2).jpg
    Inked20201122_100532_LI (2).jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 22
  • Inked20201122_100532_LI.jpg
    Inked20201122_100532_LI.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 21
  • Inked20201122_100458_LI.jpg
    Inked20201122_100458_LI.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 20
Do not use an offset flange on the toilet. Place the wall 12-1/2" behind the c/L of the WC drain.
Bring a local plumber in to consult and in less than 1/2 hour they can evaluate the rest and if you can record it, then you are good to go.
There are so many ways to mess up plumbing so have them come back after you try your hand at it. Then, you can do it twice and learn even more.

Thanks breplum. Ill see if I can get one over here for a consultation.

I have 3/4" cpvc water supply and I see the existing 1/2" cpvc supplies to the existing kitchen, bathrooms, ect.

How do I tee off the 3/4" cpvc to Pex? Or should I use cpvc for all the runs? Figured pex would be easier for me. Is there a T that goes from cpvc on one side to pex on the other? Does the toliet get its own line in this case? Its not too far to go and I figured I would run all 5 lines(2 shower, 2 vanity, 1 toliet) as pex home runs off the 3/4" main supply.

Or thinking about this a little more, do I need to put in a cpvc T at the 3/4" main supply for each pex run and then use one of these cpvs to pex adapters? like this one at Home depot = 1/2 in. Brass PEX-A Barb x 1/2 in. CPVC Straight Adapter

If so, Ill have to glue the T's in right? Will I have to have my water off until it cures/drys? What do you think of these push on(sharebite) fittings? I see some are hesitant to put in a wall that isnt accessible.

Yes, there are adapters for most tranistions like you have found. Be aware of the type of pex connectors. PEX A is for "expansion" Uponor fittings, not crimp rings.
You can look up sharkbite to see discussions from the past.
Sharkbite fittings are suitable and code for in-wall burial, and a bit expensive. Installing with proper support is vital because off angle stress will potentially push the limits.
I have all the equipment for expansion PEX and most plumbers are fully on board with PEX.

Back