Noisy Toilet Shutoff Valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeezix

Reaction score
A few years ago I replaced an old toilet water shutoff valve with a new 1/4-turn valve. When the toilet refills, the water makes a lot of noise as it passes the valve. If I gradually turn the valve to about 1/2 closed, the noise gradually becomes less and less until the water runs silent. However, it takes twice as long for the closet to refill.

Is that normal for a 1/4-turn valve??

A 1/4 turn valve should be full port when fully open.
Basically an open pipe.

So no noise should be coming from there.

Just as likely the noise is from turbulence from fast flow around an elbow.

Or noise from the fill valve, which is carried through the pipe into the wall cavity, which acts like a speaker enclosure and boosts the sound.

Unless you bought some Chinese junk valve.

fluid master makes a fill valve with nozzles specific to many toilet brands they are all different colors and the paperwork tells you which color for which toilet

My 1/4-turn shut-off water flow is horizontal from the wall, thru the horizontal shut-off valve and then thru a flex hose, again horizontal. From there and about 3 inches away from the shut-off valve, the flex hose turns up to the bottom of the toilet fill valve, so I don't think that's the cause of the noise.

I can't see the manufacturer of the shut-off valve and didn't save any of its wrapping, but I did get it at Tru-Value, and I think it was made by "Master Mechanic". Just like the other shut-off valves on the other 3 toilets that are not making any noise.

And I've already changed the fill valve inside the water closet. It too is just like the other fill valves on the toilets that flush quietly.

Oh well, the toilet does refill in less than a minute when the valve is turned about 1/2 way off.

I usually choke back the supply valves about 1/3 or 1/2 way anyway.

That way, there is less chance of a flood, if the fill valve sticks on forever, and the overflow tube can’t handle it.

Back