Noise from Shower after replacing Faucet Cartridges

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryche

Reaction score
Hi all,

My version of DIY is to call a professional, but I do have a general idea of when something is right, and when it isn't.

My master bathroom showerhead was dripping fairly constantly, and I wanted to get ahead of it before it turned into a leak. I figured the issue was with the quarter-turn faucets (lever/handle style), and internal parts needed replacing. I went to Angi's List, and selected their "Angi's Plumbing" option, as they had the availability I was looking for. The plumber (or more of a handyman, based on his business card) replaced the Cartridges and Seats/Springs in the faucets. Sure enough that did solve the drip/leak issue...but....

now there is a horrendous noise whenever only one faucet is turned on. I have a tankless water heater, and it is set at a temp my wife and I like, so we only need the hot water side turned on... the noise sounds similar to a grinding, or perhaps a boat foghorn, and if I hold the faucet, I can feel it slightly vibrating. It is also consistent as long as only one faucet (doesn't matter which side - hot or cold) is on. Sometimes turning on the other faucet - even just a bit, helps alleviate the noise. I believe the tech replaced whatever was in the faucets with a generic "Glacier Bay" cartridge, but he didn't leave the packaging (though I did see it when he brought it back). He also said that due to the way the cartridge was made, the cold water faucet would need to be flipped. In the off position, the handle used to point toward 3 o'clock. Now it points towards 9 o'clock.

Is it possible that either the cartridges themselves are the cause of the noise, or that having to flip the cold water faucet is causing an issue? No other faucets/fixtures in the house make noise when in use, so that leads me to believe the issue is within the faucets themselves, as opposed to being "air in the pipes", as the tech told me.

I'll try to upload a video shortly

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/ideas...

Attachments

• Faucet_Noise.mp4
    27 MB
That is a extremely odd noise. Never heard anything like it.
You are right/smart to keep the tankless WH at a perfect shower temperature.
The cartridges have to be at fault, not to mention you deserve to have the correct match on the cold side NOT flipped.
Make a complaint and request it be fixed.

Remove the handheld hose and connection adapter from the shower arm and see if the noise goes away.

That is a extremely odd noise. Never heard anything like it.
You are right/smart to keep the tankless WH at a perfect shower temperature.
The cartridges have to be at fault, not to mention you deserve to have the correct match on the cold side NOT flipped.
Make a complaint and request it be fixed.
Thanks - I've also been in touch with a local master plumber (after I'd posted the OP) and his thoughts are along yours. I'm in the process of getting a refund from Angi's list (since I was connected to the original tech/handyman through them) - and the Master I've been in touch with pointed me towards the correct cartridges (based on pics of the old ones) - and will come out to install once I have them... Thanks again for the time and response!

Back