Noise coming from sprinkler valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humbolt

Reaction score
9-21-22

Hi All: I have always appreciated your comments and troubleshooting recommendations. If I may ask for your thoughts on the following:

I have and older Orbit WaterMaster valve. Please see attached photo. I have 4 of these valves in the manifold. I have replaced the diaphragm on all 4 valves with Part Number 57045. I believe the model # of the valve is 57100 or 57101 and is a 1 inch valve. After replacing the diaphragm on zone three and turned on the water system, I heard a humming type of noise coming from that number 3 valve. That particular sound was not coming from any of the other 3 valves. Please note that the noise I hear is very hard to describe. But whenever I replaced a diaphragm it seems that I hear that type of noise. Perhaps some of you may know of this sound.

Anyway, I removed the valve cover and diaphragm from zone three and zone one. I placed the valve cover and diaphragm from zone one onto Zone three and visa versa. I did not hear that particular noise from zone one but did continue to hear the nose coming from zone 3.

Any assistance or thoughts will be appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance.

Attachments

• valve.JPG
    valve.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Aside from homeowner bad experiences with Orbit products, don't feel ignored if fellow plumbers don't have a lot to contribute.
Your guesses are as good as the next.
I have found that rebuilding, using factory parts, of any type of regulator (i.e. pressure reducing valves, back flow devices) is an iffy prospect at best.
Sometimes perfectly re-assembled, factory parts don't perform properly due to no apparent flaw under users control.
On my irrigation controls, I use double unions so that a quick swap-out is always available.

Hi breplum...so correct me if I am wrong, but what you are saying is that Orbit products are unreliable and it is best, at this point, to replace the valve. And the valve should not be another Orbit product.

I appreciate your comments and recommendations. Thanks

In my experience, just as a homeowner (i.e. limited exp), Orbit valve products are just on the lower end but still, OK. All devices that use neoprene parts are prone to temporal breakdown when exposed to treated water. I think their Pre-assembled manifold products are smart. I don’t have enough real world experience beyond my properties.
Orbit’s Hyve smart irrigation controller is a great product BTW.
My professional irrigation friend likes valves with brass components.
A local irrigation supply shop would have stronger opinions and likely, varied opinions, depending on who you speak with on any given day.

Back