No water pressure, older home?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhatIn88

Reaction score
Hey guys, moved into an older home recently, noticed I have very low if any water pressure inside my home, checked the water heater (which is GAS) and come to find out when the gas guy came to turn my gas service on, he wouldn't light my water heater due to it being rusted and no vent. I am now in the midst of replacing the water heater and installing a vent pipe, my question is, why would my incoming water pressure be low? MIGHT BE AN OBVIOUS ANSWER TO MOST OF YOU, but I have no clue, I was wondering though since my water heater is rusted/old and not even lit (pilot light) would that affect my pressure? and if that wouldn't how likely is it that, I have low water pressure due to my water heater also being rusted on the inside? NO VISIBLE leaks on the water heater but looks very shiny to be a 30+ yr old water heater.

Attachments

• Water Heater 1.jpg
    Water Heater 1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
I agree, your heater does not look 30 years old.
It looks 50 years old.
And the water lines look crazy.

There are a dozen ways your water pressure could be low.

The city shutoff valve outside might not be fully open.
Your water meter usually has two shutoffs, one or both might not be fully open, or they are defective.
The water line from the city main to your house could be getting choked from corrosion and minerals.
You might have galvanized pipes in the house that are full of rust and minerals, and choked inside.
You have a well that needs service.
You have a water softener that needs service or backflushing.
You have a whole house water filter that is dirty or needs service.
Lots of other possible reasons.

When the water heater gets installed, ask the plumber to also investigate your low water pressure.
Ask them this before they come out, so they will know that is part of the job.

I lived in a 1927 farmhouse in Michigan, 1989-1992. The plumbing had not been installed until 1953 (!) All the lines were iron in the basement. I tore out all of the old iron lines and re-plumbed with copper.

On one length of iron pipe (which may have been galvanized at one time, but the zinc was long gone) I pulled out, about 6' long, the corrosion and rust/growth inside this 1" pipe was so thick that you could not see through it! Oh, yes--it did pass some water--but at such reduced pressure as to be somewhat useless.

If your lovely old house has any old iron/galvanized or god forbid--lead--pipes in it, time to pull them all out and replace.

In older houses, it was not uncommon for the city supply line to the house to be made of lead.

I have read that the lead gets covered over in minerals and therefore is safer than just bare lead pipe, but still sounds bad especially for kids, who would be affected the most as their brains are still growing.

...not uncommon for the city supply line to the house to be made of lead...covered over in minerals and therefore is safer than just bare lead pipe.

Yep, you are right. That's the crux of the whole Flint [MI] water problem. They failed to properly add corrosion inhibitors to a new water source (all to save money of course) and the new water supply dissolved the protective coating on the inside of the lead pipes...leading to lead contamination of the drinking water supply.

The stupid mistake was a disaster and led to a program to remove all the lead supply lines.

Hey guys, moved into an older home recently, noticed I have very low if any water pressure inside my home, checked the water heater (which is GAS) and come to find out when the gas guy came to turn my gas service on, he wouldn't light my water heater due to it being rusted and no vent. I am now in the midst of replacing the water heater and installing a vent pipe, my question is, why would my incoming water pressure be low? MIGHT BE AN OBVIOUS ANSWER TO MOST OF YOU, but I have no clue, I was wondering though since my water heater is rusted/old and not even lit (pilot light) would that affect my pressure? and if that wouldn't how likely is it that, I have low water pressure due to my water heater also being rusted on the inside? NO VISIBLE leaks on the water heater but looks very shiny to be a 30+ yr old water heater.
Gee, It looks alright to me...🤪 Before I start, I want to remind you all that there is a difference between Pressure and Flow. One is PSI and the other is GPM. Also it was not clear if he is on a well or on city water. Check the pressure (PSI) at the hose bibb on the house closest to the source. Should be 50-70 PSI. (Static Pressure.) Then, with the pressure gauge still on, open a valve in the house and see how much the pressure drops. (Dynamic Pressure.) If the pressure doesn't drop too much the problem is inside, if it falls off dramatically the problem is outside, in the pipe to the house.

In any case, You need a complete replumbing job in the house, judging by the picture you shared. Its a real scandal. Send us more pics. I'd like to see what the faucets look like.

Back