No water condition

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jomo

Reaction score
I have a no water condition in my house. The installed gauge states that I have 50 psi. My question is even with a bad well pump shouldn't I have running water with that pressure? Fine the water will not run for long without a connected running pump but again, shouldn't I have water?
I tested the pump relay and the contact are (now) clean. What should I try next?
Thanks!

The gauge still reads 50 psi (maybe broken), the water tank measured 22psi at the Schrader valve.
We have never lived in the house but plan on moving in tomorrow (Tuesday).
Here is what I found. The control box is not wired up. According to color I plugged in the wires from the control box (capacitor and relay) to the plastic strip on the control box. I can only assume that it was to be done by colors!
My problem now is how to wire the wires that come from the pump and the fuse box (or is it from the pump relay) to the plastic strip on the control box.
I attached diagrams of everything. The wires on the left are from the fuse box and the wires on the right side are coming from the pump.
A quick replay would be very welcomed as we just want to settle into our new home.
Thanks,
Jomo

Attachments

• 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 102.jpg
    102.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 21
  • 103.jpg
    103.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 104.jpg
    104.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 20
L1 and L2 come from the breaker or fuse box. Red, Yellow, Black, and a green ground come from the pump. Yours is so old it probably doesn't have the green ground wire.

L1 and L2 come from the breaker or fuse box. Red, Yellow, Black, and a green ground come from the pump. Yours is so old it probably doesn't have the green ground wire.
The problem is that I do not have a Red, Yellow, Black, and a green wire coming from the pump. There is a picture showing the wires from the pump. The wires from the pump are black, white and copper.
The wires coming from the fuse box are black, red and white. The white wire is actually attached to the ground. Is this correct? Does it matter which way I put the red and and black wires to L1 and L2?

The black and red from the panel should be line one and two, with white as the ground. But check that with a meter. White to ground should have no voltage. Red or black to ground should be 120-volts, and black to red should be 240-volts. The white to ground with the breaker off should be a closed circuit with minimal resistance, red and black to ground should have infinite resistance. Check for shorts to ground, and a good ground before wiring anything up, or turning on power.

Your pump leads are typically yellow and blue, but that isn’t code, just a normal practice in the pump industry. (Had a long discussion with an Electrical Engineer about it a couple of weeks back). You have NM 2 plus ground thus a black, a white and a bare ground. Before you wire anything up, check the winding resistance. Meyers got bought out, by Pentair, but the age still selling Myers as a brand, and the last time I called tech support, the older guy who answered the phone could give me the winding resistance for a pump in about your age range. You should have some added resistance from the lead wire to the pump, but, if you’re off more than 10% from what the tech support says, the pump is probably toast, and there is a reason it is disconnected.

Tech support should also be able to tell though the amp draw of the pump. You need to check that to be sure the pump is running right.

If you are confused by an of this, you need to call an electrician.

The black and red from the panel should be line one and two, with white as the ground. But check that with a meter. White to ground should have no voltage. Red or black to ground should be 120-volts, and black to red should be 240-volts. The white to ground with the breaker off should be a closed circuit with minimal resistance, red and black to ground should have infinite resistance. Check for shorts to ground, and a good ground before wiring anything up, or turning on power.

Your pump leads are typically yellow and blue, but that isn’t code, just a normal practice in the pump industry. (Had a long discussion with an Electrical Engineer about it a couple of weeks back). You have NM 2 plus ground thus a black, a white and a bare ground. Before you wire anything up, check the winding resistance. Meyers got bought out, by Pentair, but the age still selling Myers as a brand, and the last time I called tech support, the older guy who answered the phone could give me the winding resistance for a pump in about your age range. You should have some added resistance from the lead wire to the pump, but, if you’re off more than 10% from what the tech support says, the pump is probably toast, and there is a reason it is disconnected.

Tech support should also be able to tell though the amp draw of the pump. You need to check that to be sure the pump is running right.

If you are confused by an of this, you need to call an electrician.
Your reply was very helpful and I will do the test which you mentioned. But I still have the same question. I have three wires coming from my pump. They are black, white and bare copper and I need to know the color of the wires they mate with.

Back