No Water coming to outside tap?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plumbum

Reaction score
So we just got a house, and we finally decided to use the tap in the backyard to water it and nothing comes out. Water comes out to the tap for the front yard tho, we’ve looked all over the place hoping to find a valve that it could be turned off but couldn’t find it, including right on the opposite side of the wall where it comes in which is just the pipe. we turned the master one on and off hoping maybe water would come but nothing did.

Any ideas on what could be the problem? Should we just keep looking for this hidden value? Sadly when the inspector looked at it many months ago he said it was frozen but I’m starting to think he was wrong and probably should have done more to see why nothing came out.

Turn the main off.
Remove the hose bibb/ aka tap. screw in a pipe nipple and turn on the water for a second or so.
It will either eliminate a bad hose bibb or not.

Is it a frost free hydrant? The rubber gets stuck to the seat sometimes and won’t back off. Here’s what I do.
With water pressure still on, I will back off the retaining nut like I am taking the stem out. I’ll leave a thread or two on, then open the faucet. Water pressure should pop the seat out and you get water flow. You may get a little wet, so choose a hot day.

So we just got a house, and we finally decided to use the tap in the backyard to water it and nothing comes out. Water comes out to the tap for the front yard tho, we’ve looked all over the place hoping to find a valve that it could be turned off but couldn’t find it, including right on the opposite side of the wall where it comes in which is just the pipe. we turned the master one on and off hoping maybe water would come but nothing did.

Any ideas on what could be the problem? Should we just keep looking for this hidden value? Sadly when the inspector looked at it many months ago he said it was frozen but I’m starting to think he was wrong and probably should have done more to see why nothing came out.
The stem could be broken in the closed position,does the handle stop when you open and close
Another thing yo can do is there is probably a large Nut under the handle, with the main valve odd you can unthread the bug nut ,not all the way and then slowly turn the water on with someone checking for flow at the outside faucet

Back