No packing not on leaky sillcock

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kramca

Reaction score
My house was built in 1971. One of the sillcocks finally started leaking a small amount from the spout.

I went to remove the stem to replace the old washer. Problems: 1. The screw holding the wheel handle (slotted) is rusted and stubborn. I soaked it overnight with Blaster penetrant and will try again today.
2. The bigger question is: how do I remove the stem when there is no packing nut ?

Attachments

• 46E8BC53-4417-4DDD-BA53-213C69A18E86.jpeg
    46E8BC53-4417-4DDD-BA53-213C69A18E86.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
the brass fitting around the stem that threads onto the body would be the packing nut,you can back off the packing nut all the way and spin the body of the valve out with it....if the screw breaks that holds the flat washer remove all of the flat washer and grab the remaining part of the screw with needle nose or vise grip needle nose pliers

Thanks, but if you will look closely at my jpg. you will see there IS NO packing washer, as my post title indicates. Normally, right underneath the valve wheel there is a packing nut. This must be some old style sillcock. In other words, there is no brass fitting around the stem...no brass at all, in fact.

I feel if I could get the screw off that holds the valve wheel, the valve would come and could get a new washer. I may buy a Dremel rotary tool, get a reinforced cutting wheel and cut a new screw slot perpendicular to the stripped original.

Save yourself some trouble and do like Geofd said to do. Take a 12" cresent wrench and put it on that square nut and turn
it counterclockwise and turn the handle easily the same way and everything should come out for you to change the washer
on the end of the stem. Let us know it you get it off.

Back